A favourite deck - what do you love about it?

Moderator: theFeeLion

Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: A favourite deck - what do you love about it?

Post by Nemia » 11 Nov 2017, 11:10

I have the one about the Solar System. It's interesting and I kept it at hand while reading Dava Sobel's book about planets - but didn't do readings with it yet :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

fractalgranny

Post by fractalgranny » 11 Nov 2017, 11:12

Nemia wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 05:29
I have often said it but it bears repeating ;-) - one of my favorite decks is the completely harmless-looking Silhouette Tarot.

I bought it because I love silhouette art of the 18th and 19th century - I love Jewish papercut folklore art - and I love Lotte Reiniger's silhouette animation films. I was not so sure I'd love the deck, populated with wimsy, cute and quirky little creatures, toys and children. But somehow I knew I had to have it.

And then I learned that this is a PERFECT reading deck for me. The borderless cards connect with each other like a storyboard. The colours are strong and expressive. The little creatures seem to come alive and move between the cards when I put them next to each other. They seem to interact.

I had some of my most poignant readings with this deck. One example is my inner child reading, sorry it's so verbose but that's how it turned out. Just look at those cards.

For my shadow work, personal growth work, however we may wish to call it, the Silhouette is ideal. It doesn't frighten my innermost feelings away. Things just emerge with this deck. Most of these readings are private but believe me, each reading taught me something I didn't know, or brought up memories that were lost, or showed me an aspect I wouldn't have seen without it.

It's funny that my two best reading decks are the Thoth with its multitude of symbols and esoteric assignations - and the child-like Silhouette Tarot with nothing but fairies in bath tubs and melancholic tin toys. Both give me spot-on readings. I loved the Thoth from the moment I had my first tarot reading some windy day in the early 1980s. And I learned to love the Silhouette tarot very very much.
Oh, I have to get that deck! It looks beautiful! I, too, have a nostalgic thing for silhouette art - my grandparents had a whole bunch of it.

And a propos seemingly innocent decks - I have two like that, too, one of them the Cat's Eye Tarot. If you would have asked me 15 years ago if I would ever get a deck that, at first sight, looks sort of cute, I probably would have sneered and said, me? never! But that deck sooo grew on me. Like you, I find it super easy to read.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 11 Nov 2017, 12:34

The Cat Eye tarot is on my list - I swore never to get another cat deck :icon_lol: there must be ONE fad I don't fall victim to, mustn't it?, but it looks good. Conveys real tarot feelings and moods without anthropomorphizing, if there is such a word?, the cats.

The Hanged one could be less pussyfooted but I guess people react strongly whenever an animal seems to suffer pain. I saw more excitement about the poor bulls and swans in the Wild Unknown than about the whole poor vampire victims :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

fractalgranny

Post by fractalgranny » 11 Nov 2017, 13:21

Nemia wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 12:34
The Cat Eye tarot is on my list - I swore never to get another cat deck :icon_lol: there must be ONE fad I don't fall victim to, mustn't it?, but it looks good. Conveys real tarot feelings and moods without anthropomorphizing, if there is such a word?, the cats.

The Hanged one could be less pussyfooted but I guess people react strongly whenever an animal seems to suffer pain. I saw more excitement about the poor bulls and swans in the Wild Unknown than about the whole poor vampire victims :-)
I always took that Hanged Man card to focus on the relaxed abandonment that to me is one of the aspects of that card.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 11 Nov 2017, 14:09

fractalgranny wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 11:05
I think I'm going to get me one, especially the one of the elements, since I dearly regret not having taken chemistry at either school or university.
I don't find the Elements deck quite so easy, there's less text and not so much to go on in the images, and I sometimes go to the companion coffee table book for more ideas. See my comments in the Oracle Decks forum :icon_exclaim: .
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Cocobird55

Post by Cocobird55 » 02 Dec 2017, 19:21

The Victorian Romantic. I fell in love with it the day the first edition arrived. I loved the art. It was also the first deck that I got psychic flashes from -- without really thinking, I just knew what a card meant.
I am who I take the time to become.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

fractalgranny

Post by fractalgranny » 02 Dec 2017, 20:02

The Victorian Romantic is definitely on my list! And I felt the same way with the Crow's Magick - I just "got it." :icon_e_smile:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Belinda2

Post by Belinda2 » 13 Jan 2018, 12:53

fractalgranny wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 11:12
Nemia wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 05:29
I have often said it but it bears repeating ;-) - one of my favorite decks is the completely harmless-looking Silhouette Tarot.

I bought it because I love silhouette art of the 18th and 19th century - I love Jewish papercut folklore art - and I love Lotte Reiniger's silhouette animation films. I was not so sure I'd love the deck, populated with wimsy, cute and quirky little creatures, toys and children. But somehow I knew I had to have it.

And then I learned that this is a PERFECT reading deck for me. The borderless cards connect with each other like a storyboard. The colours are strong and expressive. The little creatures seem to come alive and move between the cards when I put them next to each other. They seem to interact.

I had some of my most poignant readings with this deck. One example is my inner child reading, sorry it's so verbose but that's how it turned out. Just look at those cards.

For my shadow work, personal growth work, however we may wish to call it, the Silhouette is ideal. It doesn't frighten my innermost feelings away. Things just emerge with this deck. Most of these readings are private but believe me, each reading taught me something I didn't know, or brought up memories that were lost, or showed me an aspect I wouldn't have seen without it.

It's funny that my two best reading decks are the Thoth with its multitude of symbols and esoteric assignations - and the child-like Silhouette Tarot with nothing but fairies in bath tubs and melancholic tin toys. Both give me spot-on readings. I loved the Thoth from the moment I had my first tarot reading some windy day in the early 1980s. And I learned to love the Silhouette tarot very very much.
Oh, I have to get that deck! It looks beautiful! I, too, have a nostalgic thing for silhouette art - my grandparents had a whole bunch of it.

And a propos seemingly innocent decks - I have two like that, too, one of them the Cat's Eye Tarot. If you would have asked me 15 years ago if I would ever get a deck that, at first sight, looks sort of cute, I probably would have sneered and said, me? never! But that deck sooo grew on me. Like you, I find it super easy to read.

Wow I do like the look of those cards, another one for my wish list❤️

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne » 13 Jan 2018, 19:34

One of my favorite decks is the Wizards Tarot. The art is appealing, I find the cards easy to read, and it has a family-friendly appearance that mean I can use it in public, especially around people who are fantasy fans. On the rare occasion that I read for myself, this is my go-to deck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » 16 May 2018, 05:17

My favourite deck is Roots of Asia. What I love about this deck are the beautiful muted colours, the gentle expressions of the faces, and the sprinkle of elephants, tigers, lions. When I use the deck I sense a calm very spiritual energy. I hardly have to look at the images when I do readings as the knowing is instantly there. Have other decks in my possession but none speak so clearly and accurately. We have a genuine rapport and just looking at the images transports me to Thailand where the deck was conceived.

Am really glad I have a backup copy as I nearly fainted when I saw the secondary market price on Ebay/Amazon, in the 1000's absolute silly money.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Various Tarot Decks”