Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot

Moderator: theFeeLion

CharlotteK

Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot

Post by CharlotteK » 06 Jul 2017, 17:35

I got Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot today in London.

It wasn't on my wishlist and I don't know anything about it, but Paul Huson's book Mystical Origins IS on my wishlist so thought I'd take a punt.

It's different. Not the usual Rider Waite meanings and the Courts seem very 'literal'.

Does anyone have this deck and work with it? Do you find it easy to read with? Do you stick to the LWB meanings? Really interested to hear people's experiences and what you like or don't like about it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Wheel of Fantastic

Re: Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot

Post by Wheel of Fantastic » 06 Jul 2017, 18:13

I have the deck. Unfortunately, between using RWS, Marseille and Thoth based decks I can't get my head around this deck's own particular meanings - my cognition may need an upgrade. Pity, the deck itself is stunning in appearance.

I fully recommend Huson's book though, it's fantastic.

Were you in Watkins Books in London today? I was in there late this afternoon.
Last edited by Wheel of Fantastic on 06 Jul 2017, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 06 Jul 2017, 18:15

Same here! The book is great, the deck is beautiful and its use of strong colours unique - but I don't use it for readings. I don't even know why. I'm sure the deck deserves a chance. I find the significator card a wonderful idea. Why don't I use it?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 07 Jul 2017, 01:30

Wheel of Fantastic wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 18:13
I have the deck. Unfortunately, between using RWS, Marseille and Thoth based decks I can't get my head around this deck's own particular meanings - my cognition may need an upgrade. Pity, the deck itself is stunning in appearance.

I fully recommend Huson's book though, it's fantastic.

Were you in Watkins Books in London today? I was in there late this afternoon.
Yes, I was there around 6pm-6.30pm. I wanted to stay for the free talk on The Breath but had to go and get my train back to Yorkshire.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 07 Jul 2017, 10:33

Nemia wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 18:15
Same here! The book is great, the deck is beautiful and its use of strong colours unique - but I don't use it for readings. I don't even know why. I'm sure the deck deserves a chance. I find the significator card a wonderful idea. Why don't I use it?
I REALLY like the significator card, I can see me using that for sure. I think I am going to make it my new Deck of the Week (completely bypassing others on the waiting list) so it doesn't get stuffed in the "too hard" drawer. And I will have to get his book too.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sibylline

Post by Sibylline » 09 Jul 2017, 23:17

The book is fantastic and is a staple in my library. There's even a little bit in there about Etteilla's Book of Thoth deck which is a little gem given there's so little written about it.

I've been hemming and hawing over purchasing the deck. I'm curious as to how it reads. But maybe not b/c I run the risk of being enabled :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 10 Jul 2017, 13:42

I'm not entirely sure what to make of it yet.

The artwork and rhe colours I like a lot. I thought it was telling me it would be good for predictions. This is something I don't really do having come to the Tarot more as a tool for growth, insight and personal development than for fortune telling. However, I thought I'd experiment with this deck.

Big fail. It refused to give me anything useful. So I did a deck interview.

Well it's an odd fellow. A bit stern, a bit po-faced, rather puritanical in outlook. Though not without sense of humour. For me it has a definite preference for practical, mundane matters - leisure activities. Hobbies, interests, work matters, household decisions. It told me not to bother asking it about deep and meaningful spiritual development issues. All of which is fine.

I think the answers it will give will be honest and to the point, perhaps a bit lecturing, but with a ascerbic wit too.

Although the meanings are different to the RWS, the clues on the card ate good and I think I'll be reading it without the LWB before too long.

I think I do really like it, and look forward to a few more readings with it this week.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SteveGus

Post by SteveGus » 11 Jul 2017, 15:15

I own it, mostly on the strength of the excellent book that preceded it. I don't read with it much, though, for pretty much the same reasons several folks said above. It is much more forcing of its meanings than a pip card deck, while less familiar than a RWS or Thoth style deck. I understand it's Etteilla based. I own the Jeu de la Princesse Etteilla, but don't read with that either.

I ought to give it a try for majors-only readings.
Le beau valet de coeur et la dame de pique
Causent sinistrement de leurs amours défunts.

- Baudelaire

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK » 17 Jul 2017, 16:04

Found a reasonably priced copy of the book, and that's now on its way to me...looking forward to reading it and hoping it will bring me a bit closer to the deck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Magickjack

Post by Magickjack » 18 Jul 2017, 16:18

I so much love this deck and I try and try to work with it but I always end up putting it back in the drawer. It is not RWS but you can find RWS meanings in some of the cards, different cards and even different suits. So it's all kind of mixed up. The scenes on the cards do very well with the meanings so you would think I wouldn't have a problem. I think this deck is supposed to be read in a straight forward way. He explains in one section when the cards are laid out in a row, read them as words to a sentence. It's not an esoteric deck. Also, Ettellia was a big reversal guy but his reversals are not always related to the upright meaning. My next approach I'll try to simplify it a little more and relax and just go with it. Try not to over complicate the meanings. If I really like a deck but can't read with it, I just become more determined to crack the code.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Various Tarot Decks”