For Fools on Hills: the Beatles tarot

Moderator: theFeeLion

Nemia
Global Moderator

For Fools on Hills: the Beatles tarot

Post by Nemia » 29 Sep 2017, 06:59

I've been waiting patiently for this deck to emerge from a wonderful idea. Today, I got their mail: the Beatles Tarot is ready and we can buy it. (It's presented on Indiegogo but you can buy it as finished product - so I put it here - I hope this is the right place in the forum?)

I grew up with the music of the Beatles, and for me, like for countless others, they're more than the most successful band in history. They're great artists, interesting personalities in their own right, and their music, activities, cultural interests and politic views brought about huge social change. Okay, you can argue it's not only the Beatles, and they accompanied the change, didn't cause it - let's not start a sociological-historical argument. But for those like me who remember a world BEFORE the Beatles, and remember the huge excitement they generated, and the way life has changed - the role of men and women, for example -- well, it's more than just good music with interesting texts. The Beatles were catalysts and symbols of one of the big cultural shifts in the history of Western culture and society. There. I said it. Go and disagree :-)

But where comes the tarot in?

Many years ago, on Tarot-L, when I posted under another nick, I had fun putting together a Beatles playlist with a title for each tarot card. And I regret that this list got lost in the depths of my digital life! It was wonderful to ponder whether "Good day sunshine" or "Here come the Sun" fits trump XIX better! Just wonderful and great harmless fun.

The creators of this tarot didn't go such a simple and naive way. They took into account the political aspect of the Beatles, especially John Lennon, their lives and personalities, their biographies - John Lennon torn between Aunt Mimi and mother Julia, heartbreaking - this is for people who love the Beatles, know the Beatles and feel the Beatles!

Look what the website says about their choices:
The Court cards reflect the family life each Beatle established while they were in the band and after, as solo artists. The Majors are represented by integral people who worked behind the scenes with The Beatles, musically and otherwise. The Magican, for instance, is The Beatles' long-time producer and the key figure in creating their unmistakable sound, George Martin. The Hierophant is represented by the guru of transcendental meditation, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The cards of the Major Arcana which represent virtues or abstract ideas retain that function - indeed, each card has been intricately researched and attuned to the proper meaning it corresponds with in both the Rider-Waite-Smith and Marseilles Tarots.
That sounds wonderful, like a candle that burns from both ends, the Tarot and the Beatles side.

But. But. But. The price. It is stiff. It includes a book that sounds wonderful to have, and shipping - so hm, well, it's still expensive.

I will have to scrimp and save, without Vera, Chuck and Dave... but I WANT this deck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CharlotteK

Re: For Fools on Hills: the Beatles tarot

Post by CharlotteK » 29 Sep 2017, 07:16

Gosh, that is very definitely out of reach cost wise for me, but it looks magnificent!

Charlotte

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 30 Sep 2017, 02:22

The Beatles certainly did a lot to inspire the music I really like, and I do actually love Tomorrow Never Knows :icon_cool: .

It looks like a good deck for serious fans and the price must be OK for a limited de luxe first edition. As long as there is no trouble over copyrighted art or photos, surely one of the big publishers would want to release a mass market edition. The city of Liverpool is still cashing in on the Beatles even after all these years.
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Lissalye

Post by Lissalye » 15 Feb 2018, 14:47

I did not know about this! :icon_e_surprised: It looks fantastatic but that price... Gonna put it on my wishlist and see what happens.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Various Tarot Decks”