0 - The Fool or the Moment of Divine Consciousness

Moderator: Michael Sternbach

Michael Sternbach
Founder

0 - The Fool or the Moment of Divine Consciousness

Post by Michael Sternbach »

What could be more apt than starting the Thoth Study Group with reflections on Trump 0, The Fool?

In 1942, Frieda Harris wrote about this card:
This is the moment of divine consciousness.
That's a very interesting statement. One cycle has ended and another one is about to begin - but right now, everything is still in a state of pure potential, longing to be expressed. What form this expression will take exactly is not known yet - the future is wide open and the sky is the limit.

Once things are under way, there will be limitations, because to really get anywhere, some possibilities will have to be chosen over others, and also held on to, while obstacles will have to be overcome.

But this does not concern us much when we are still in the state of The Fool. It is the enthusiasm and trustful courage and - most of all - the bliss we experience at the beginning of a new enterprise. Indeed a reflection (however dim) of the divine ecstacy that stands at the creation of a Universe.

Thoughts?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Re: 0 - The Fool or the Moment of Divine Consciousness

Post by Jo Ann »

I am not feeling bliss at this moment from the board or my new store. But then again, I am really excited at the prospect of these beginnings, there fore the name 0fool. I thought this apropos. I have yet to delve into Thoth, although i have read the tarot of the spirit. Eakins makes a bit more sense to me.

Know Your Stuff -My Card Lists
Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Oh I see, that moment when one is struck by the thought "I will start a forum" but before one gets to the point of doing anything about it - or in my case having second thoughts ;) .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Michael Sternbach
Founder

0fool wrote: 06 Jul 2017, 17:42 I am not feeling bliss at this moment from the board or my new store. But then again, I am really excited at the prospect of these beginnings, there fore the name 0fool. I thought this apropos. I have yet to delve into Thoth, although i have read the tarot of the spirit. Eakins makes a bit more sense to me.
Good enough. :mrgreen:

And yes, the Thoth certainly requires a little more study than the Hello Kitty deck, but it's more than worth your while. ;)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Michael Sternbach
Founder

2dogs wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 09:10 Oh I see, that moment when one is struck by the thought "I will start a forum" but before one gets to the point of doing anything about it - or in my case having second thoughts ;) .
Or acting before you start second-guessing yourself. What Daoists call Wu wei.

More on The Fool from a Daoist perspective here:

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/38847- ... -of-tarot/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

actually i was over reacting from the horrible berage of stress, grieving and sadness pouring out of the computer from tarot talk. I was shocked a about a day after when went i back in to the shut down area that all those emotions where coming thru computer at me. Now that ain't fair. it should only be inperson. LOL

Know Your Stuff -My Card Lists
Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Michael Sternbach wrote: 07 Jul 2017, 20:42 More on The Fool from a Daoist perspective here:

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/38847- ... -of-tarot/
Crikey, it really does all fit shockingly well :shock: .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK »

Thanks for posting the link to your blog Michael. Very interesting reading. I don't know much about Daoism, but 'studied' Zen for a while (insofar as you can study an experiential practice). Daoist ideas clearly permeate Zen, and it occurred to me that the Fool also may be considered as having beginners mind, or shoshin? Shin represents heart/mind and best translation I can see for sho is 'flying' or 'soaring'. So in this state of shoshin, The Fool is unfettered by preconceptions or conditioning, mind/heart residing in that pure free place of complete knowing and unknowing.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

It would be nice to just act on the spur of the moment without pausing to think about it - but for that action to always be the right one :D .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

To paraphrase Crowley: “The arrangement of the Tarot cards is not arbitrary, but necessitated by the structure of the universe, and in particular of the Solar System” - so just what does The Photographic Card Deck of the Solar System have to say about the Fool? :lol:

The card I drew was Enceladus - do an image search for enceladus tiger stripes and you’ll see a small moon covered in gleaming ice, it’s the whitest, shiniest body in the whole Solar System, and displaying a number of so called “tiger” stripes generally described as mint-green. The ice along the stripes is thought to be very young, having a crystalline structure that would degrade in that environment, turning into amorphous ice in a period somewhere between a few decades and a thousand years. These are not just surface markings though, but geysers throwing out ice crystals at over 2,000 km/hour, suggesting sources of hot, pressurised water beneath the ice. Organic molecules have also been detected so it’s a possibility that life exists down there as around the volcanic vents on our ocean floors. As the card says, “Enceladus, to everyone’s amazement, is alive and kicking”. The ice from these plumes is also what forms Saturn’s widest and outermost “E” ring, which is unstable with a 10,000 - 1,000,000 lifespan and therefore needs to be steadily refreshed by new particles from Enceladus.

Looking at the Tarot card the corresponding things I notice are a tiger with stripes, ice crystal, fire, green, circling rings.

Going on to draw a card from The Photographic Card Deck of the Elements produced Tantalum. An image search for tantalum just produces images of a silvery metal. The card says it’s used in capacitors for cell phones and laptops, and also for skull plate medical implants.Possibly a link then to brain damage and therefore lack of thought, but I also see Tantalum was named after Tantalus, so do an image search for tantalus greek mythology instead and what do you see? The tortured person reaching out for the unattainable fruit - which looks suspiciously like that bunch of grapes on the Tarot card. Maybe this is a little joke of the cards, or just the nearest they could get.

Altogether then we have brightness, freshness, youth, life, the power of nature, replenishment, amazement, the possibility of life where it wasn't expected, lack of thought, the desire to attain something out of reach - anyone else see any additional connections here?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links