The chat center has been relocated. CLICK HERE or else follow the "Chat Center" link directly above this announcement.

Gravenchase Lenormand

Moderator: Nemia

Nemia
Global Moderator

Gravenchase Lenormand

Post by Nemia » 21 Sep 2017, 18:19

Lynyrd-Jym Narciso is a very interesting tarot artist with an amazing ability to invent a new style for every new deck he produces. The Gravenchase is a wonderful example of his work. I hope very much he will be "discovered" by a big publishing house, and his decks will be more widely available! He has been interviewed here by our very own Joan Marie, and his Paraluman Studio can be found on GameCrafter, Facebook and Etsy.

I had the privilege to follow the development of this creative undertaking on AT. I fell in love with this deck immediately!

I bought the mini version of this deck and was a bit afraid it might be too tiny. The deck is indeed even smaller than my trimmed Blue Owl, but it is easily shuffled because the linen cardstock is fantastic. Smooth, not slippery, firm, not flimsy, and flexible with just the right "grip". It's my smallest deck but it's crystal clear and easy to handle. I have a little tin that's perfect for it. So I don't regret the mini size!

In this deck, the artist's style is somewhere between neo-medieval and whimsical. His colouring is absolutely crazy - warm and cloudy and full of contrasts that never lead to disharmony.

His linear style here indeed reminds me of engravings, hence the name, and he added an overlay of litle lines - artificial aging, which can be obnoxious when done too obviously, but Lynyrd-Jim put it on with a light hand, and I love it.

I always love borderless cards because they can really interact with each other. If you rely on eye directions and gestures to interpret the cards, you'll have an easy and fun time with the Gravenchase. All the cards are expressive, most animals anthropomorphed just enough to be easily approachable, and the main symbol is always easily recognizable.

In the upper left corner of each card, you find the number, in the upper right corner, the suit symbol and card number - so you have the information without card inserts. At the bottom, a scroll with Gothic letters announces the card name. Hearts and diamonds have red fonts and numbers, clubs and spades black ones.

The Gravenchase has two ladies, two gentlemen and two children - you can either pick one or use them all. They look into different directions and are different types, so that's a nice touch for all kind of relationships, romantic and otherwise.

I find it very easy to read with this deck.

Another wonderful addition are twelve zodiac cards. Aren't they beautiful? In my readings with this deck, I didn't use them yet - I haven't decided how to do it yet. But I do have some ideas.

You might use them in the deck as person cards if you have a person-heavy reading (either along with the lady, gentleman and child or without them). You might use them for additional information on timing and planetary influences. You might even use them as base cards for a zodiac spread and pull a card or two for each month of the coming year.

In short, this additional set of zodiac cards invites you to explore the relationship between Lenormand and astrological times or types within a reading.

I love the creativity and unique style of Paraluman's art and can't wait to see where his talent will lead him.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Re: Gravenchase Lenormand

Post by Barleywine » 21 Sep 2017, 19:35

I keep bouncing back and forth between this one and his Anino. Right now the Anino has the upper hand.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie » 22 Sep 2017, 14:48

You can see an interview with Lynyrd Jim Narciso on this forum at Eclectic Interviews

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BlueToy

Post by BlueToy » 26 Sep 2017, 08:26

Thanks for the review!

Just to add that, if anyone is interested, I was asked to write a short introductory article on ideas on how to use the zodiac oracles which come with my Lenormand decks: https://www.thequeenssword.com/artists- ... ac-oracle/

Hope it helps give the owners of the zodiac oracles ideas on potential uses for them!

-Ly

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Lenormand Deck Reviews”