Deck of the Week #8: Feb 19-25

Forum rules
There are some decks that we all know and love. And then there are the lesser known treasures. Deck of the Week is a really fantastic way to explore decks that are loved but under-used. Here you can see what decks other people are using and how they apply the cards to everyday situations.
Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: Deck of the Week #8: Feb 19-25

Post by Nemia »

Fortitude! Beloved card. Funny, for some time I have noticed that Tuesdays (ruled by Mars) often bring me quite fiery cards ;-) Three weeks ago Etruscan Strength, and in general, quite a lot of Wands on Tuesdays.

I teach on Tuesdays but it's a very peaceful job because I teach adults and love the work. But I do notice that putting on the persona of the wise teacher becomes more difficult. The older I get the more I feel that I don't know anything. And I get more introverted over the years. So I need a little push before I start. But otherwise, my Tuesdays are benevolent beings...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne »

kyan wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 01:04 winter wrens are such adorable little birds. i love how they will flit in groups low to the ground, darting in and out among the low branches having fun and seeing what can be found. a happy productive bird is the feeling i get from them, and what a beautiful song they sing.
They're tough little creatures, too -- since they don't migrate, they have to survive whatever winter throws at them. I could think of worse role models....

Continuing on with the Arrows suit today: The Eight of Arrows.

Struggle, often alone. Perseverance (again!). Keeping hope alight during a storm or time of difficulty. Focusing on getting through troubled times.

I had a minor brush with this today, but one of my colleagues at the library experienced it more, I think. She has a family member in a nursing home, who has been hospitalized several times in the last few weeks. Today my colleague called in to say she had to go to the hospital yet again, and since we were short-staffed already, one other person and I had to take on the work she would have done. We did get some help in early afternoon, and I don't begrudge her the time off at all. It's been a rough winter for her family.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Knight of Swords! Wonderful, I'll hear from my son ;-) He is the Knight of Swords. And his advice to me (be tougher Mama! stand up for your rights! - looking at me strictly) is always the advice of the Knight of Swords. I usually don't take it, but today I probably should!

Btw, the Tyldwick has difficult but fascinating court cards! What an intense gaze comes back from the mirror....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

wonderful cards, you two!

that almost looks like a wren on the tyldwick fortitude, all alone against a big wall, with a scary lion face to boot.

i’m falling in love with the wildwood deck— the 8 of arrows card looks like a japanese scroll painting. swooooon.

so awesome about the wrens not migrating.. and they don’t hibernate either, so they’re really are tough little creatures. there’s a lesson in that— sometimes tiny is huge.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne »

kyan wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 01:14 i’m falling in love with the wildwood deck— the 8 of arrows card looks like a japanese scroll painting. swooooon.
The Wildwood does have lovely art -- strong colors and sharp images without too much detail getting in the way. The symbols are easy to read. This is one reason I want to give it a shot, despite some differences in meaning from the RWS standards.

Moving out of the Arrows suit and into Bows, featuring its clever Knight:

The fox is cunning; she knows her territory and everything that's happening in it. No matter what happens, she's on familiar ground, with the home turf advantage. She's alert for changes in her surroundings, and quick to take advantage of opportunities. This card can symbolize cleverness, or quick changes that may or may not lead anywhere, or the urge to explore and learn for future use. (This is similar to the wren card that emphasizes education to prepare for coming events.) The Bows suit in this deck is similar to Wands or Staffs in other decks.

I'm drawing a blank on what this symbolized for today for me, however. There weren't any big surprises, and things were much calmer than yesterday. Perhaps something will manifest in the future that I can trace back to today.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

nemia, oh what a knight of swords! is that esoteric or what??? i love the symmetry of this card. it was this type of image that first drew me to the tyldwick, because of the emphasis on interior architecture. (but then i saw the arabian lenormand!)

oh look, you both pulled knight cards — that fox knight looks restful with his eyes closed, or are they simply ultra narrowed? well, it was a foxy kinda day for me, i had to do some sneaky moves to avoid contact with a certain someone, and it worked beautifully.

the wildwood art really is uncluttered... but it’s still richly rendered.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne »

Today's card is from the Major Arcana: The Ancestor.

This card brings up our ancient past, the call of the wild that we can all still hear if we listen. It brings us back to our roots, reminds us that we are connected to the Earth no matter how civilized we have become.

This card may have to do with my decision today to sign up for an advocacy website that hosts online petitions from groups like the Sierra Club, many of which deal with environmental protection. I've been looking for a way to stay informed about what environmentally-related laws are being considered by Congress, and this was one way I can find out.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

ahh, it makes perfect sense that you are into the wildwood tarot, you’re a nature spirit at heart!

i love the ancestor’s frame drum and the costume is kick ass too. at first i thought the pattern was ikat in red white and blue.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne »

kyan wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 05:10 ahh, it makes perfect sense that you are into the wildwood tarot, you’re a nature spirit at heart!
I am. And in direct response to my signing online petitions yesterday, I received a call (at work!) from the Environmental Defense Fund to see if I could send them $100. Great cause, but I'm not made of money. I'll stop by their website in the next day or so to see if I can help them out with a smaller donation.

Anyway, today's card is again from the Major Arcana: The Sun of life.

The Sun card, like the RWS decks, means warmth and light, but also success, great possibilities, the melding of matter and energy, and the energy of life. It's usually a positive card, and it was nice to see this one on a cold, grey winter day. I had a group of students from the Catholic school nearby, and they were doing research in my library. Everyone found useful information, and I remembered the satisfaction of doing school library work many years ago. I enjoyed middle school work, back when I first got into the library field. (I enjoy my current job as a public librarian too, so no complaints here.) Thinking about those kids, and the Parkland high schoolers taking on the system, gives me hope for out future, and feeling of contributing to it, at least a little.

One of the details in the picture that I particularly noticed are the carvings on the stones. The lines look like seeds sprouting, and remind me of the triskelions found on ancient stones in Ireland. I was fortunate enough to visit Ireland in 2005 and see some of the ancient sites for myself. Ireland is a beautiful country, and everyone I encountered was friendly (or at least tolerant), so I have a warm feeling about that experience as well.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

It seems everything I wrote yesterday was swallowed by the Internet :icon_twisted:

Thursday (the day before yesterday): the Magician.

I wrote yesterday that the Magician is one of the majors I struggle with. I know we all have all the archetypes within us but the Magician - I don't really like him. He is clever and competent, yes, and has lots of self confidence, but he's also a manipulator and wants to impress. I should ask myself why I dislike him, and whether I myself don't use Magician's tactics. I teach on Thursdays so I should probably ask myself concretely how I use show and the will to impress when I teach. Very unpleasant! Can a teacher/lecturer be "authentic"? Probably not, we can't show weakness, have to be in control all the time, are watched all the time...

Friday (yesterday): Nine of Cups

Friday was a quiet and nice day, very much Nine of Cups. My life, although we don't live in luxury and work hard, is Nine of Cups. I'm surrounded by books, cats, a herb garden and people I love. I'm very very lucky. Everything that is good in my life, okay not everything but a lot, a lot, is the consequence of our decision to marry nearly 30 years ago (we married 29 years ago). We are very happy together and I think growing older would have been much harder without him. Going together through time gives a lot of inner security. I even have the perfume collection of the card ;-) and I like its connection to Pisces, the Sun sign right now.

Today: Nine of Swords

Another Nine for today, this time the Swords. Let's hope nothing terrible happens! I'm a worrier and I get the Nine quite often... the prison of the mind.

When I look at the two cards together, it's obvious what they tell me, these two Nines. My life is good, I should stop this fruitless worrying and enjoy what I have. Who knows when... and there I go again, worrying! :icon_lol:

ETA: I love the Wildwood! Should take out mine!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links