Deck of the Week #11: March 12 - 18

Forum rules
There are some decks that we all know and love. And then there are the lesser known treasures. Deck of the Week is a really fantastic way to explore decks that are loved but under-used. Here you can see what decks other people are using and how they apply the cards to everyday situations.
Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: Deck of the Week #11: March 12 - 18

Post by Nemia »

My Friday card: the Sun. And that's very true. It was a sunny day, I had a lovely day at home, getting on with all kinds of projects, had real quiet fun and felt loved and loving. Who doesn't love the Sun card? Even though I have already as a child moonlight and clouds and preferred them to open sunlight, the essence of the Sun is so life-giving and wonderful that I can't but love the Sun. It's a star like all the other stars, only our atmosphere and closeness make it appear as it does. Whoever loves the stars, and we all do, loves the Sun, too.

I always think of my mother when I see the Sun card. She's a sunny type, radiant, full of fun, always optimistic, a force to be reckoned with. I come from a culture where the Sun is female so it's automatic for me to see maternal love as sun-like.

And for today, Saturday: the Two of Pentacles.

Interesting card - abstract, and it reminds me of the Tree of Life, the connection between Tif'eret and Yesod - Sun and Moon. Did I do today work from the different realms? Yes I did. I did day's work (again, domestic and maternal work), and I did work from the night side, too (tarot, slowly working my way back into shadow work). I try to keep this balance every day.

Let's have a look at the book to see what the artist thought about while painting her beautiful, rich, detailed, fascinating Two of Pentacles.

She talks about the realms - conscious and unconscious, about juggling different things, about balance and accepting change. The picture is very clear and conveys her ideas well.

The Star Tarot is very RWS. For people who don't like the RWS style, it's a good alternative. The RWS card meanings are unchanged but the art is very evocative and symbol-rich.

Lovely deck. Can I believe that tomorrow is my last day with it??? NO I can't believe it!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

performing live at the tower theater: the naked stars, opening for fractal buddha and the suns! :icon_lol:

all the decks this week are nifty, and there are good lessons to be learned. buddha is always offering up good advice. i recall a similar quote from art school so many years ago: the greatest enemy of art is repetition.

(tho according to picasso, it is common sense.)

storytelling is good for everyone... good luck with the library programs. i am liking the look of the witches tarot but i hear the card stock isn’t the greatest? also, the dog on the fool card.... it looks just like my friend’s dog Mitzi. :icon_rolleyes:

a friend has the older ellen cannon reed witches tarot we read with it the other night. i like the newer version better. the page of wands with the orange cat cracks me up! “oh hi!”

nemia, i also see the sun as maternal and life giving. never really thought about it, but it has never seemed particularly male. cardwise, it’s a lovely pull, and what a wonderful memory for you.

i bought a new tarot deck last week, the spirit within. it arrived yesterday and the very first cards pulled were the sun and the moon. different realms for sure, but the light is the same, just diffused through time and space.

very little time, lots and lots of space! :icon_cool:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

My last card for this week - the Eight of Wands. I didn't do anything fast and didn't get any information that set me into motion - BUT I watched a large bird of prey today, and for a long time. It was windy here today and the eagle (I think it was one, it was much larger than the kestrels we have here) flew above the wadi in front of our house. It stayed there for a long time. I don't know the name of this bird but it was majestic.

YES it was an eagle, a spotted eagle, it had those spread-up wing tips. I stood for a long time with my binoculars and followed it.

It was so beautiful, my heart soared along with it.

The Star Tarot is a wonderful deck, I'm not surprised it reflected this gem of my day. I'm so glad I have it. I find it difficult to part from it and move on to something totally different... but every deck deserves a chance.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

Lucky you to be able to see an eagle! What a magical moment it must have been... they’re rare out here, tho we see hawks all the time.

This is an unusual and very interesting eight of swords... It’s somewhat similar to the eight of swords in the Fountain Tarot, but instead of the swords facing a central heart, there they are facing what looks like a disembodied blindfolded head.

the swords here are like the fencing in effect of the swords in the RWS deck, but only four are holding back the heart, the other four more open and apart.

i agree, this is truly a wonderful deck... it’s on my wishlist!! :icon_cool:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links