The chat center has been relocated. CLICK HERE or else follow the "Chat Center" link directly above this announcement.

Knowledge Cards - Jewish Mysticism

For newbies and rabbis alike.

Moderator: Michael Sternbach

tarotbear

Knowledge Cards - Jewish Mysticism

Post by tarotbear » 12 Mar 2018, 16:41

Has anyone bought or received a deck titled 'Jewish Mysticism - the Language of the Kabbalah' by Ira Steingroot and published by Pomegranate Communications? It is a 48-card deck of poker-sized 'Knowledge Cards(TM)'.

I received it as a Yule gift, and I am sure the Giver thought it was some kind of divination-type deck ... but it isn't. In fact, I can find no exact purpose for the deck other than using it as 'flash cards', and even that might be pushing it. I even wrote to Pomegranate asking 'how' the deck was meant to be used - and their answer was one of those vague 'however you discover to use it' answers that tells me they didn't have a clue, either!

All the cards have the exact same image of the Tree of Life on the back. Even though the individual cards may discuss a particular sphere or pathway, that sphere or pathway is NOT highlighted on the Tree of Life on the card back. Some of the explanations are interesting - if you wanted to know that "Baym fuln da'as" means to be 'in your senses', or the Yiddish plural of sefirot is 'sefiros'.

A really pretty to look at, well-produced deck - that just does not seem to have a purpose; I'd rather glean mysticism from a book, rather than flipping through cards. Currently on reduced sale as it is being discontinued ... I wonder why?
There are three ways of looking at things; theirs, yours, and my Tarot cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Re: Knowledge Cards - Jewish Mysticism

Post by Nemia » 13 Mar 2018, 05:49

Benebell Wen liked cards from the Living Magick series; they also have Kabbalah learning cards. Steinroot's cards sound interesting because of the Yiddish-speaking tradition but since the tarotist kabbalah is more eclectic and influenced by Neo-Platonism etc, I don't know how much they help.

I really like the Hermetic Kabbalah Tarot. It's a tarot deck packed with kabbalah and other esoteric content, looks good and the attention to detail is great. (I just noticed, looking at the 10 of Cups, this decan's minor, that the thin border is coloured in the colours of Malkuth).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tarotbear

Post by tarotbear » 13 Apr 2018, 08:40

Here is a scan of the first 6 cards I pulled off the deck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 20 May 2018, 01:55

Tarotbear, these cards look very useful and full of good information. How are the cards working for your kabbalah work in the long run? Thank you for the scan, I didn't see it earlier, don't know why! I hope you're well.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tarotbear

Post by tarotbear » 20 May 2018, 19:11

I am well.

I'm really not working with them other than to read through the entire deck a few times - once out loud! I have decided to give them to a Jewish friend as a regift.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Kabbalah”