The Ideas for making our tarot deck

Jo Ann
Founder

Re: the whole Concept and stuff

Post by Jo Ann »

ok, great!

Know Your Stuff -My Card Lists
Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Carojulie

Post by Carojulie »

I am glad you are home now Jo Ann, and hope you feel better.

I have signed for "less is more, but i can do up to three".
Well, I will do what is needed (I just hope we have a good comfortable amount of time), but my health is not good and my energy level is very low ; so if other people have also, like me, signed up for one or several cards, just know that it will be much more comfortable for me to do one card than to do three. I was not feeling so low when I signed up, wich is why I said up to three. Of course, if need be I will make more than one ; it is just that, if it is not needed that I do more than one, if other members have, like me, said they could make between one and three, then it is important to me that the lowest amount is demanded of me right now, considering my health issues. But dont worry, I'll do what needs to be done.
Thanks !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Grizabella

Re: Jan 16 2018

Post by Grizabella »

Carojulie wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 05:38
And could I put the title of the card in french on the card, or french only for the translation of the LWB slot ? We have a international community so it would be fun if the cards bore titles in the native language of their creators.... we are all knowledgeable enough of the RWS to recognise cards even if we cannot read their titles anyway, and there would still be the LWB with its english translation, to help. What do you think ?
Thanks !
I don't mind having other language besides English for card titles but I guess we should think back to how much griping there was on AT about using Lo Scarabeo decks with foreign language titles. I personally never minded and never really paid attention to the extra card titles, but maybe we should take a poll or something. I think Lo Scarabeo used to put the card titles in four languages if I remember right.

The whole world is not English speaking and the internet is international, so why should we who speak English think ours is the only one for use on a Tarot deck?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Carojulie

Post by Carojulie »

I always thought the griping with LS decks was the multilinguage borders ? Well, at least that is what bothered me. They went up to 6 languages on some of their decks !

I dont mind card titles in any language, as long as there is only one title on the card, whatever the language. I have decks in english, in french, spanish, german, italian, russian..... and I really dont mind, on the contrary sometimes I feel that it brings something exotic to the card... but I really hate a card with the title written 6 times in 6 different languages and needing an extra large border to accomodate the 6 versions of the title.

Above all I like a deck with titles in french since it is my native language, but these are not the majority of my collection, because so many decks are published only in english. If I draw a card I would love to put the title in french..... I dont really understand the need for a poll here ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Carojulie

Post by Carojulie »

I just notice that you wrote "another language beside english. That was not what I was suggesting actually. I was suggesting the title in only one language, that of the card creator.
And in the LWB, the translation for that title and the explanation for the card in english, so that we can all read the LWB.
But only one title , only one language on each card.
Sorry if that was not clear.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

i love the idea different languages on the cards, it would be interesting to see and i agree that we will know what it says simply by visual association. even doing it like the lo scarabeo decks is fine with me. if so, then i hope we include japanese. :icon_e_smile: those that don’t prefer that sort of border can trim their decks if necessary!

also, wording within the artwork could be in whatever language the artist wants — like if the king of swords is reading a newspaper, for instance.

as a graphic designer, i DO hope the fonts are well chosen. that means no papyrus, broadway, comic sans or other horrid fonts. pleeeasase.

also, no script fonts in all caps. no, no, NO! :icon_lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

carojulie, i hope you feel better soon!! i didn’t see your first post right away. i hope the deadline we are given to complete the cards is quite a while away, and that you’ll be 100% better long before then! then you can do all three. or even more! :icon_razz: :icon_e_wink:

i have been thinking of doing collage — literally cutting up magazines and whatnot. it would be an good way to create a card with a realistic feel. i’m very abstract when it comes to actual drawing, so this will make things easier.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Grizabella

Post by Grizabella »

When I said "besides English" I didn't mean that there would be a second title in English. I just meant "other than" English but didn't think to phrase it that way.

My contributions will be in watercolor since that's my current passion.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Carojulie

Post by Carojulie »

Grizabella wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 19:07 When I said "besides English" I didn't mean that there would be a second title in English. I just meant "other than" English but didn't think to phrase it that way.

My contributions will be in watercolor since that's my current passion.
Ah sorry, its me who misunderstood then !
I wish I could do something like watercolors but I am not very good at drawing, and will probably use some collage, depending on the card I get.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann »

Carojulie wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 18:22 I just notice that you wrote "another language beside english. That was not what I was suggesting actually. I was suggesting the title in only one language, that of the card creator.
And in the LWB, the translation for that title and the explanation for the card in english, so that we can all read the LWB.
But only one title , only one language on each card.
Sorry if that was not clear.
no i understood. i was just saying if you want to do your entry for the LBW it would be ok as well.

It really doesn't look like there are anymore sign ups huh.

Know Your Stuff -My Card Lists
Rooster Mama :had: here, my sidekick Yarr :yarr: his spirit guide :trans16: and me wee beastie :beasty: Familier!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links