book recommendation

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
shadowrose

book recommendation

Post by shadowrose »

if i could only ever own ONE book on tarot, which one would you recommend I get, and why?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Barleywine

Re: book recommendation

Post by Barleywine »

For a beginner with the RWS deck, I would recommend the Anthony Louis book Tarot Plain and Simple (and its companion, Tarot Beyond the Basics) because he is one of the more lucid writers on the subject of tarot. For a Thoth beginner (although The Book of Thoth is really the "One Book to Rule Them All" and a lifetime study), I would get Lon Milo DuQuette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
shadowrose

Post by shadowrose »

Barleywine wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 14:53 For a beginner with the RWS deck, I would recommend the Anthony Louis book Tarot Plain and Simple (and its companion, Tarot Beyond the Basics) because he is one of the more lucid writers on the subject of tarot. For a Thoth beginner (although The Book of Thoth is really the "One Book to Rule Them All" and a lifetime study), I would get Lon Milo DuQuette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot.
Thank you!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

You have already excellent recommendations and I hesitated whether to recommend some more... not instead of Barleywine's spot-on recommendations... but as addition.

I have found Mary Greer's workbook Tarot for Yourself very useful. It really made the tarot come alive for me. Today, her approach has turned into the consensus and everybody will tell you that you have to find a personal relationship with every card etc. But Greer came up with a great way of doing so.

I like all her books, but this is the one I'd start with. This is one book best bought as hardcopy, to work through with pencil, paper and a deck of cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Ace

Post by Ace »

78 keys of wisdom by Rachel Pollack

Barb
Education is EVERYTHING!

www.bgmeyer.com/blog.html

Reading Tarot cards: the most fun you can have and keep your clothes on!

Do away with your
Throat and lips,
And let me hear
What you can say.
--Shih-tou (700-790)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
fractalgranny

Post by fractalgranny »

Fabulous recommendations. For me the one book I would take to the proverbial deserted island would be Mary Greer's 21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
shadowrose

Post by shadowrose »

been away for awhile, I got overwhelmed with life. These are great recommendations, I thank you so much for posting them. Most of them are books I've had my eye on....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links