harder to read for relatives?

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
Lissalye

harder to read for relatives?

Post by Lissalye »

I have teen daughters. They seem to like to me to read for them on occasion. My older daughter will actually ask me to read her cards but she has no other interest in cards, meaning she doesn't own any decks and doesn't want to. She once said to me, 'I dont understand getting more than one deck or different decks, arent they all the same?' To which I replied, 'Im going to pretend that you didnt say that.'
My other daughter is younger, 16, and she has an oracle deck and a tarot deck. She reads for her friends but keeps that to her self. When I say that I mean, we do not discuss cards much but I am supportive of her interest, and the oracle deck she has was mine but I was about to give it away because I didn't work well with it and she proclaimed her love of it and took it from me. lol...

Anyway, when I read for the older daughter she gives feedback but I also uncover over the reading that she isn't telling me everything and its partly because Im her mother and I do not want to pry so I just skim things sometimes. Bottom line is I find it difficult to read for her at times because of this or tricky at least.
When I read for the younger daughter she is secretive and gives me 0 feedback. She says things like, I need to think about it or the dreaded... 'ok'
Ahhhhh! I feel like such a terrible reader when I get into this with them. I have another less familial teen that I read for and we just have a connection, the readings work and I never feel stuck in a weird place about it.
Do you all have issues when reading for family? Or certain family? Or close friends?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Re: harder to read for relatives?

Post by kyan »

i am just getting into tarot so haven’t had the opportunity to read for family yet, but my friend, who’s read for years, has said he can find it difficult to read for family and close friends. (perhaps it’s partly because he doesn't generally charge friends for the readings, so they may be abusing the privilege!) but he did say that knowing a person well enough to know their personal issues and foibles sometimes affects how he perceives the card meanings, that the “clean slate” you get when reading for strangers makes it easier, somehow.

i have noticed when he does a reading for me that he sometimes interjects his own thoughts or concerns regarding the question. it’s not so bad, but it’s definitely obvious, for he will, for instance, back the card’s meaning with a reminder that he had already voiced his opinion about the situation at hand. which is true, but still... i don’t want it to turn into a reading about his outlook on things when asking the cards for their view.
Last edited by kyan on 14 Feb 2018, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Grizabella

Post by Grizabella »

Sometimes I find it a little bit harder to read for my family. It depends on the questions asked and who the relative is.

I raised two of my grand-daughters and they sometimes ask me to read for them. The older one especially. She's written a book and a couple of years asked me to read about the success of it if she were to continue and publish it. Both girls have their own decks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Lissalye

Post by Lissalye »

kyan wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 18:38 i am just getting into tarot so haven’t had the opportunity to read for family yet, but my friend, who’s read for years, has said he can find it difficult to read for family and close friends. (perhaps it’s partly because he doesn't generally charge friends for the readings, so they may be abusing the privilege!) but he did say that knowing a person well enough to know their personal issues and foibles sometimes affects how he perceives the card meanings, that the “clean slate” you get when reading for strangers makes it easier, somehow.

i have noticed when he does a reading for me that he sometimes interjects his own thoughts or concerns regarding the question. it’s not so bad, but it’s definitely obvious, for he will, for instance, back the card’s meaning with a reminder that he had already voiced his opinion about the situation at hand. which is true, but still... i don’t want it to turn into a reading about his outlook on things when asking the cards for their view.
I feel similar about the clean slate, I know so much more about my daughters lives and so I have more feelings and thoughts about it that probably influences my reading. Thinking of it this way its a good oppertunity for improvement to put away the personal part of our relationship and try to come to the reading with a clean slate and not be so attached to being helpful.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

it would be a good approach, but being helpful to your children is no doubt a built in love response, so it may be difficult! but it’s definitely a good exercise — let us know how it goes in future readings with them. it will be interesting to see if their response to your readings changes.

a friend of ours (mine and my reader friend) was always asking for relationship advice from one certain guy she was involved with (he was already in a relationship but it was rocky) and it went on for months. ultimately my friend said that the cards came up null. that is, they weren’t speaking to him at all, they didn’t make sense, they were a glaring combination of good and bad cards side by side, the same cards over and over, etc..

i guess there’s a point when even the cards themselves get fed up!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links