How Does YOUR Garden Grow? And, what's in it?

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
celticnoodle

How Does YOUR Garden Grow? And, what's in it?

Post by celticnoodle »

Spring is almost here. Not quite, but close. So, we are getting ready to plant our veggies and fruits. We do have a few fruit 'bushes' now--raspberries and blueberries and we have wild blackberries too. We were out in the yard Saturday putting posts in for us to plant our apple trees that are coming our way Friday coming. And, while we were out there, looking into our garden we noticed that our garlic is coming up! We planted 12 or 15--I forget - but three rows of garlic. Everyone of them is coming up. HURRAY!

We also purchased a nice rosemary and a nice little basil today. Can't plant them yet--but soon! :) It may take awhile for the apple trees to begin producing fruit--2 or 3yrs. We are planning to do them in an espalier way. So, we purchased 4 10' long metal "T" squares that my husband pounded into the ground 3' deep. That should be plenty stable! Now we are just waiting for the apple trees to come in. :)

We've got a slew of veggies to purchase and plant yet, but we are planning to plant scallions, bell peppers, hot peppers, zucchini, squash, spinach, beans, carrots and shallots. A few other things too, not yet decided upon for sure.

So what is in your garden?!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
celticnoodle

Re: How Does YOUR Garden Grow? And, what's in it?

Post by celticnoodle »

how could I forget? Also TOMATOES!

I couldn't find how to edit a post. Can anyone help me here?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
celticnoodle

Post by celticnoodle »

how could I forget? Also TOMATOES!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

wow!! your gardening enthusiasm has me feeling guilty for not getting things started this year! your berry bushes sounds wonderful. i’d like to plant some raspberry bushes, that sounds heavenly.

have you heard of rain gutter gardening? it’s a good way to plant things up and off the ground. and it makes harvesting easy too, since there is less bending down. something was eating our strawberries last year so i’m considering giving it a whirl.

eggplant and okra are on the list. they grow well and aren’t attacked by pests that much. zucchini and tomatoes too — last year we planted san marzanos for making tomato sauce and they were sooo good! and the little yellow and orange cherry tomatoes are awesome.

also, pumpkins. i’d like to grow kabocha squash this year... it’s such a great variety. :icon_e_smile:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

celticnoodle wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 20:17 how could I forget? Also TOMATOES!

click the pencil icon in the row of icons above your post. that should get you to the edit page!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
celticnoodle

Post by celticnoodle »

first of all, kyan, thank you for helping me with the editing part. So simple and I didn't even see it! lol. typical of me.
kyan wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 08:01 wow!! your gardening enthusiasm has me feeling guilty for not getting things started this year! your berry bushes sounds wonderful. i’d like to plant some raspberry bushes, that sounds heavenly.

have you heard of rain gutter gardening? it’s a good way to plant things up and off the ground. and it makes harvesting easy too, since there is less bending down. something was eating our strawberries last year so i’m considering giving it a whirl.
No, I haven't heard of that! Interesting. Yes, our built up boxes also allow us to not have to bend all the way down. still need to a bit -but not to our knees like we use to have to. My knees are not good and so getting down to them is difficult and getting back up is even more so! :icon_rolleyes:
eggplant and okra are on the list. they grow well and aren’t attacked by pests that much. zucchini and tomatoes too — last year we planted san marzanos for making tomato sauce and they were sooo good! and the little yellow and orange cherry tomatoes are awesome.

also, pumpkins. i’d like to grow kabocha squash this year... it’s such a great variety. :icon_e_smile:
I like eggplant too and would consider growing it, but we don't eat enough of it to warrant doing so. okra, I am not a fan of, but the hubby likes it. We also plant plum tomatoes, but I didn't realize there were different varieties! We usually pick them up at the garden center already started, as we have such a short season here in NY. I love the plum tomato though as they are so versatile. I will do my best to find some of the marzanos--which I see on the web are the best for sauce as they are so sweet! Yes, we also love the small cherry tomatoes too that are in the plum family. We once had a delicious pizza with the sweetest yellow cherry tomatoes on it as a topping. OMG, YUM just isn't enough to tell how great that pizza was! :) I am definitely going to look for both.

We planted pumpkins once at our farm. We did get a few pumpkins but we just didn't do much with them so doubt we'll plant them again. We never grew the kabocha either. Like it but again not enough at this point to warrant planting them.

Love gardening and looking forward to seeing what others are planting.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Oh no. My garden is rocky and full of weeds. I simply don't have the time to work in it. We live on a steep hill and it's difficult to get into the garden and to lift stuff like weeds or dead trees out. I really don't know what to do... it's too much work to carry it up...

In the main garden below, we have an olive tree, some oleander bushes, a little passionflower plant.... that's all.

I do have a small strip of herb garden where herbs grow nicely albeit a bit too much. And a small garden in front which is full of lovely bougainvillea and citrus trees.

But the "real" garden - wow, I don't know where to start... but I should because soon, my mother will come to visit. She'll be very disappointed to see that her hard work when she was here last has gone to waste!

I'm really discouraged about our garden right now. I used to have a nice garden wherever I lived but since we moved in here, I simply can't get myself started.... and we don't have money to invest right now in new plants or equipment to help me deal with it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

nemia, viewing your pics and the rocky soil in your garden takes me back to living in glyfada on the mediterranean. i can picture the breezes off the ocean and smell the fragrance of citrus blossoms and hear the rustling of dried bougainvillea blossoms skating across the pathways.

i think your mother would be forgiving about the state of the garden. i’m sure she remembers how difficult it was to maintain the land!

tell me about weeds! we have so many right now, outta control... we are considering renting some goats from a local farmer! raised bed gardening is definitely the way to go. you can sit on the edge and hoe, lol. but you can also throw your back out by twisting sideways. i know! that’s why the gutter gardens are so cool. you can stand up if you install them at waist level or above. you can make an a frame rack for them, accessible from both sides, or attach them to an existing sunny fence or wall.

anyway... speaking of gardening, i’m going to pick some herbs for a salad right now. it’s noon here! ciao!

btw: okra is an acquired taste! lol. but having it fresh is healthy for you. it’s mostly eaten raw in salads here, the young pods are tender and so good!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Canid

Post by Canid »

CN, I did some yardwork today, shorts & flipflops yay! I cleaned up half of the yard’s dog poop (I avoided it all winter so there’s a LOT) & made a dent on the herb/flower bed preparation. I don’t make it pristine in the fall, to provide shelter & sustenance for wildlife in the winter. Birds love Lamb’s Quarters that have gone to seed, I relocated 4 coccoons (hoping they’re Emperor Moths). This after complete inactivity after my hospital stay...felt great!
The eye thru which I see God is the same eye thru which God sees me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

flip flops and shorts sounds great! spring has definitely sprung around here too... as evidence by my allergies... :icon_e_confused: but i welcome the warmer weather.

i've been seeing lots of "infographics" online about dandelions -- the importance of this yellow flowering plant because they are often the bees' first form of food in spring. t's suggested not to consider these plants a weed and douse them in pesticides or week killers, because of the harm it will do to the bees. they also illustrate the benefits and value of this common garden "weed"! they are extremely healthy, and very handy for various ailments.

i eat dandelion almost daily, since we have so much of it around here. in salads, in smoothies, stir fried with garlic as greens, tossed into soups... the root is good too -- dig it up, wash it off, and dry it naturally. when dry, you can chop it up for dandelion tea, or grind it to a powder to use internally.

DANDELIONS. another wonderful and beneficial plant... nature provides us with everything we need.

from instagram -- @lilychoinatrualhealing (i love her feed!)

Help save the Bees 🐝 Feed them - and NEVER use a weed killer - What you may think are WEEDS are supreme herbal healers provided by the Divine Creator to Heal All - so why would anyone kill Divine Medicine??? To name a few Divine healing herbs/weeds you may see growing in your yard : Dandelion, Milk Thistle, Plaintain, Red Clover, Stinging Nettles, Sumac, Yellow Dock, Motherwort, Chickweed, Horsetail, Knotweed, Sage, mint...etc.
Learn to identify healing herbs and use them.

😉🌿 💖🐝🌼💖🐝🌼💖🐝🌼💖🐝🌼💖🐝

here's some dandelion tea info from dr. axe: https://draxe.com/dandelion-tea/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links