Bookworm central

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Bookworm central

Post by theFeeLion »

To all you bookworms out there...

What non tarot/oracle/lenormand books are you currently reading?
What's your favourite genre?
Do you use a book app? Or do you prefer holding that lovely papery goodness in you hands?

I go through phases when it comes to reading. I'll go for months without picking up a book and then, seemingly out of nowhere, I'll read book after book after book! Lol my partner isn't so happy when that happens because all I want to do then is read! Lol oops.

I love the tactile pleasure of having a paper fill glory in my hands. Plus I'm better able to go back to sections or fill it with bookmarks if I need to :D I must admit to largely using the kindle app lately though. I find its much easier to take a book wherever I go, and it has the added advantage of being able to look up a word I don't fully understand while I'm mid page.

I'm a fantasy girl through and through. Give me all those wonderful far off places where anything is possible any day! :D
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Re: Bookworm central

Post by Serpentwand »

The Kindle is very convenient but I like my case of real books. Some coffee table popular science, half a dozen 1970s books of photos of the Moon with descriptions by geologists NASA published themselves, some late 1800s / early 1900s science, travel, nature books. All with plenty of pictures 8-) . I'm currently on The New Cosmos to get up to date.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Tigerangel71

Post by Tigerangel71 »

I like to feel paper between my fingers , and love fantasy novels mostly, but haven't really been reading actual novels that much lately, read a book called Nobody True by James Herbert best book that I had read in ages have kindle on my phone but don't like using it that much, I'm reading Stranger in a Strange by Robert A. Heinlein the now, going to take it to read on the train with me today, half way through it now, hoping to finish it before the end of this year as I started it over a year ago and still not finished it yet :lol:
"Can't Rain All The Time"

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion »

@2dogs
Sounds like some interesting books you have there :) I used to have a poster of a map of the Moon, well one side of it anyway. I loved the names of some of the different places like the Ocean of Tranquillity, or was it sea? I don't remember now, it was something I had as a kid.

Now I have a poster of a transcription of the NASA moon landing expedition. It makes for some pretty interesting reading, if a little difficult to read as the text is so small and the lines are really long. There's a bit I quite like in it where they talk about a Chinese(?) myth about a lady that lives on the moon with a giant rabbit :)

@Tigerangel71
I might have to check those two books out :D a favourite of mine (and one I always end up suggesting to people) is Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey, it's the first book in a trilogy (which is amazing) and there's another trilogy that follows after. I love that book. Ooo and another one is Banewrecker also by Carey. I just love how she plays with the typical good and evil battle and turns it on its head :D
I think I have to go and read one of those books again now lol
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK »

I keep buying paper books, because I LIKE them, but the reality is I do most of my fiction reading on the Kindle.

I cannot read non-fiction on the Kindle though. I have Marcus Katz Tarosophy on Kindle and can't get past page 10. And I rebought Yoav Ben-Dov's Open Reading in paperback for the same reasons.

At the moment, fiction wise, I'm reading my way through Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings group of novels. I read the Liveship Trader trilogy first then the Rain Wild Chronicles and now I've gone back to the beginning where I should have started and am on with the Farseer Trilogy. Yomping presently through Assassin's Apprentice.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion »

CharlotteKAT wrote: 18 Jul 2017, 03:59 I keep buying paper books, because I LIKE them, but the reality is I do most of my fiction reading on the Kindle.

I cannot read non-fiction on the Kindle though. I have Marcus Katz Tarosophy on Kindle and can't get past page 10. And I rebought Yoav Ben-Dov's Open Reading in paperback for the same reasons.

At the moment, fiction wise, I'm reading my way through Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings group of novels. I read the Liveship Trader trilogy first then the Rain Wild Chronicles and now I've gone back to the beginning where I should have started and am on with the Farseer Trilogy. Yomping presently through Assassin's Apprentice.

Uh oh that has just gone on my list of books to buy! I found a kindle version that has the three books of the Farseer Trilogy in one bundle :D

You should check out those Jacqueline Carey books too :D and if you like that assassin apprentice type The Way of the Shadows Trilogy is pretty good too :D

I'm the same with non-fiction on Kindle, I just can't absorb it as well. I need the book in my hand otherwise it's like it goes in one eye and out the other!

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK »

I love a good fantasy Trilogy! Total escapism. We start our family holiday to France in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping for lots of reading time, life has been a bit too mental lately.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Morning Dew

Post by Morning Dew »

I've read a lot of genre fiction in the past (sci-fi/fantasy/horror/crime) and really enjoyed it. Nowadays I'm mainly reading non-fiction. Right now it's books on topics such as English grammar and writing, or books on Tai Chi.

I resisted Kindle and Kobo for a very long time, but eventually got into e-readers and prefer them. I've only got a handful of physical books now, mainly because I found them on the cheap.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Ah, I've been a bookworm for so many years! My house is full of books, many of them went with me from house to house, country to country, continent to continent. The last time I counted I had c. 4000 books - in spite of being cut off from my native book market. Books always found their way to me. I like second hand books and found many rare art books in weird little bookstores.

I was sure I'd never ever read e-books. The smell and feel of books... you know the type of anti-technological sentiment ;-)

Well, that was some years ago. My last announcement was last week to my husband, that I want to be buried with my Kindle but I'm worried about the battery. I take my Kindle everywhere and when I wrote today my list of tarot books, I was shocked to see how much money I put into Amazon's pockets. It's so easy to order with a Kindle, but it adds up....

I love reading more than one book at once, and one of the number is always tarot or tarot-related.

I read a lot of art books and periodicals, as that's my job, and also much non-academic stuff about art. Artist's memories, biographies etc. I also love history - the ancient Greeks and Romans, Byzantine Empire, Ostrogoths, Middle Ages, Crusades, Renaissance, Early Modern, Dutch Republic, Prussia, Victorian England, Industrial Revolution, First World War, Second World War, Russian Revolution... you name it, I was obsessed with it for one time and read everything I could about it... some things sink and are forgotten, others remain with me.

For the last three years, I'm a bit obsessed with star gazing and read many books about astronomy and what we can see in the night sky. It's wonderful. I like to read about nature and travels - and about religions and mythologies.

I'm a huge fan of Classical literature and philosophy from the 18th and 19th century, especially from German speaking countries but not only. I stuffed myself on German Romanticism and Idealism and Realism since I was 13 years old, and whenever I feel the world is an evil place, I read Goethe or Fontane or Stifter or Tolstoy or Flaubert. I used to take any book I wanted from my parents' huge collection and I'm grateful they never stopped me, only enouraged me. I read Tolkien for the first time a long long time before the boom (in 1978), grew up with Hornblower and Georgette Heyer and still have great fun with British middle brow literature, and British crime authors, and also modern authors. Oh, and I love children's literature and re-read my old books regularly, Rosemary Sutcliffe! Madeleine L'Engle!

Actually, I'm an omnivore as far as books are concerned. I'm happy to say that from my four children, two have turned out bookworms, too.

And I found an easy way to make reading with my Kindle more comfortable without spending money on bulky accessories.

For the pictures, I took a purple hair band so you can see it better, but of course I use a black one.

I have the Kindle paperwhite and miss the buttons the earlier Kindle had. It's easier to hold it in my hand with the hair band :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
CharlotteK

Post by CharlotteK »

I have the paperwhite and the one with buttons too :)

I'm glad you mentioned Georgette Heyer, I have read so many of her Georgian and Regency books. I went through a binge phase a few years ago and also around the same time Elizabeth Howard (Cazalet Chronicles!), Barbara Pym, Nancy Mitford, Elizabeth Taylor... Currently also re-eading 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith as well as Robin Hobb.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links