Review writing - some basic tips

Moderator: Nemia

Nemia
Global Moderator

Review writing - some basic tips

Post by Nemia » 16 Jul 2017, 15:54

Reviews of decks you know well are very welcome. If you'd like to write but are not certain how to do it, don't worry. Every review is different, and that's great, but if you need some hints, here they are.

Remember, your review will be read by people who know the deck (and have their own opinion) and by those who don't - but are curious. Your review might sway them to get the deck or not.

Write the review with the people in mind who do NOT know the deck. Provide them with all the information they'd like to know: name of the artist, where it can be purchased, how many cards, information about extra cards, changed cards etc. Many people like to know wether card backs are reversible.

Which tradition does it belong to? How are the suits characterized? Do they relate to elements, seasons or different cultures? How does that work?

Give some attention to the majors, the minors, the court cards and the backs. If you notice anything special, add it to the review. Especially the "difficult cards" are of interest to tarotists who read for others. If some cards are very harsh or might hurt other sensibilities, it might be worthwhile to mention that.

If you have special knowledge about the topic or context of the deck (mythology, kabbalah, the Celts, cats...), use it to put the deck in perspective. Give your opinion honestly but don't forget to be fair to the artist/author who usually put a lot of work and love into their project.

You can add up to four pictures to your review.

If you have something to say about the art, card stock and packaging, do so. If there's a lwb, don't forget to say some words about it. If there's a book, do you think it's essential to have?

And maybe the most interesting question of all: how does it read, for others and for yourself?

Think of all the questions you asked yourself before you bought the deck (or however it found its way to you). And try to answer them in your review.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Re: Review writing - some basic tips

Post by theFeeLion » 20 Jul 2017, 20:48

These are some great review tips! Are you able to make this tread stay at the top? Maybe lock it or something?
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joan Marie

Post by Joan Marie » 17 Aug 2017, 11:53

theFeeLion wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 20:48
These are some great review tips! Are you able to make this tread stay at the top? Maybe lock it or something?
I agree. Great tips. I made it "sticky" so it stays on top. (Hope you don't mind Nemia!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

syntheticmop

Post by syntheticmop » 22 Dec 2017, 17:59

Hmmm, I might try my hand soon with one - these tips really are useful and I have read reviews before going ahead and purchasing some deck. And there have been a few I ultimately decided against, for various reasons.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jo Ann
Founder

Post by Jo Ann » 27 Dec 2017, 00:42

Joan Marie wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 11:53
theFeeLion wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 20:48
I agree. Great tips. I made it "sticky" so it stays on top. (Hope you don't mind Nemia!)
I think it probably depends on what you used for "sticky" :icon_mrgreen:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Tarot Deck Reviews”