Absolutely essential books for beginners and advanced readers

Moderator: Nemia

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Re: Absolutely essential books for beginners and advanced readers

Post by theFeeLion » 29 Jan 2018, 13:46

Oh Nemia, wonderful wonderful Nemia! I’ve been meaning to finally get some tarot books but was never really sure which ones would be any good, so this is a gem of a thread! Now I have to put some book money aside lol
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 29 Jan 2018, 13:49

Wait a bit until more people have given their recommendations before you pawn your wedding dress ;-) Learning styles and tarot styles are so different...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Canid

Post by Canid » 16 Feb 2018, 13:57

Moon Garden, but I may be biased since it was my 2nd ever deck. It offers a ritual for every card, some unique meanings, plus some recipes. Then, Viceversa...Druidcraft book is pretty informative too, regarding Celtic lore.
The eye thru which I see God is the same eye thru which God sees me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grizabella

Post by Grizabella » 17 Feb 2018, 03:51

I love Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack. That's a good one from beginner to old hand. And then I've got one that goes into the Tree of Life for the minors which is unusual but a good one because mostly the material you find about that it just covering the majors. It's called Tarot and the Tree of Life by Isabel Radow Kleigman. And the second part of the title is Finding Everyday Wisdom in the Minor Arcana. Her writing style is very conversational and it's a good book. I'm not into the Tree of Life, really, whether for minors or majors but I enjoyed reading the book.

There's another one about using both Tarot and Lenormand together that's good. I'll find the name of it tomorrow. I just fumbled around trying to find this Tree of Life book and spilled two containers of size 15 beads on the floor. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_e_surprised: That's it for me for finding and dragging out books for tonight. :icon_e_confused:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 17 Feb 2018, 04:19

Rachel Pollack's book is great, yes. And I've wanted to buy Radow Kliegman's book for ages. I'm glad you recommend it!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kyan

Post by kyan » 17 Feb 2018, 06:30

oh dear... i hope size 15 beads aren’t the teeny tiny ones. :icon_eek:

i have rachel pollack’s “78 degrees of wisdom” and find it very helpful for learning tarot.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Canid

Post by Canid » 17 Feb 2018, 16:18

Oh, I thought this was only about companion books! The best books I’ve read are the Complete Book of Tarot Reversals by Mary Greer & Tarot Tells the Tale by James Ricklef. Tarot Reverals has just as many upright meanings as reversals, it gets your mind in gear of all the thousands of possibilities. I always liked that 8 of Swords rx’d possibility - alien abduction. Tarot Tells the Tale helps enormously in how to start to read combinations, & how much you can squeeze out of three cards is amazing!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Canid

Post by Canid » 17 Feb 2018, 16:23

Grizabella wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 03:51
I love Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack. That's a good one from beginner to old hand. And then I've got one that goes into the Tree of Life for the minors which is unusual but a good one because mostly the material you find about that it just covering the majors. It's called Tarot and the Tree of Life by Isabel Radow Kleigman. And the second part of the title is Finding Everyday Wisdom in the Minor Arcana. Her writing style is very conversational and it's a good book. I'm not into the Tree of Life, really, whether for minors or majors but I enjoyed reading the book.

There's another one about using both Tarot and Lenormand together that's good. I'll find the name of it tomorrow. I just fumbled around trying to find this Tree of Life book and spilled two containers of size 15 beads on the floor. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_e_surprised: That's it for me for finding and dragging out books for tonight. :icon_e_confused:
Is Rachel’s the one with all the worksheets? It was great! I gave it to someone long ago.
Oh! Sticky roller for spilled beads!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Grizabella

Post by Grizabella » 17 Feb 2018, 20:45

Yep, kyan, they're the teeny tiny ones. I'd never have thought of a sticky roller, but that's obviously a brilliant solution. I don't have one but I'm sure going to get one.

I just had an idea, though. I could use some masking tape sticky side out to pick them up and I do have masking tape. :icon_e_biggrin: Thanks, canid!

The book Tarot Wisdom has a ton of information in it that I found fascinating. The one with the workbook, though, is by Mary Greer, I think.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kyan

Post by kyan » 18 Feb 2018, 03:06

a sticky roller is great idea. also, panty hose over the end of the vacuum nozzle might work too.

my friend has that “complete book of tarot reversals”... i missed the part about alien abduction, but it makes sense visually. :icon_e_ugeek:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Book Reviews”