Another hospital horror show.

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
Grizabella

Re: Another hospital horror show.

Post by Grizabella »

OMG!! Do I ever know all about vertigo! It's horrible. The meclizine and stuff will help but every year I get a bout with it. I think for me it's triggered by allergies----mold or mildew are two huge sources of mine. And when I lie down on my right side, I get the spinning but briefly right now, not the massive bout it can be at times.

I was 10 years sober the first time I got it. I opened my eyes the day that marked the 10 years sober and the whole room went spinning. I thought I was having a stroke. Nothing is much more debilitating than vertigo.

My walker is a really beautiful jazzy deep burgundy red. My laptop died so my oldest son sent me a little Acer netbook (which is like a baby-sized laptop) and it matches my walker. lol I'm blinging mine up, too. If we have to use a walker, there's no sense being glum about it, right? :icon_lol: :clap:

I haven't been feeling very well for a few days so I missed knowing about this, Candi. I'm so sorry I'm late finding out. You may be allergy-triggered with yours, too. It's amazing how a little tiny thing like your inner ear can profoundly affect your whole life. There's no way you could drive or anything when it hits. Meclizine is an antihistamine and that's what helps the vertigo. It causes you to dry up your nasal passages and the inner ear. When the allergy is dried up, so to speak, the vertigo will usually back off for at least the length of time the pill works. Benedryl or Clariton will work, too. They're over-the-counter allergy medications.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

^^^^ wow you too?!? vertigo is the new UGH... i’m happy to report it was a one time deal with me — knock on wood. very interesting to hear about the correlation to allergies.

i remember having to cook while suffering from vertigo. i had to eat *something*. there i was, standing in the kitchen with my eyes closed, sneaking peeks with one eye just to make sure i wasn’t off target too much. talk about debilitating. in fact, my waking hours for about a week was spent with eyes closed.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Canid

Post by Canid »

Grizabella wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 03:36 OMG!! Do I ever know all about vertigo! It's horrible. The meclizine and stuff will help but every year I get a bout with it. I think for me it's triggered by allergies----mold or mildew are two huge sources of mine. And when I lie down on my right side, I get the spinning but briefly right now, not the massive bout it can be at times.

I was 10 years sober the first time I got it. I opened my eyes the day that marked the 10 years sober and the whole room went spinning. I thought I was having a stroke. Nothing is much more debilitating than vertigo.

My walker is a really beautiful jazzy deep burgundy red. My laptop died so my oldest son sent me a little Acer netbook (which is like a baby-sized laptop) and it matches my walker. lol I'm blinging mine up, too. If we have to use a walker, there's no sense being glum about it, right? :icon_lol: :clap:

I haven't been feeling very well for a few days so I missed knowing about this, Candi. I'm so sorry I'm late finding out. You may be allergy-triggered with yours, too. It's amazing how a little tiny thing like your inner ear can profoundly affect your whole life. There's no way you could drive or anything when it hits. Meclizine is an antihistamine and that's what helps the vertigo. It causes you to dry up your nasal passages and the inner ear. When the allergy is dried up, so to speak, the vertigo will usually back off for at least the length of time the pill works. Benedryl or Clariton will work, too. They're over-the-counter allergy medications.
I figured something was up with you. I only had my kindle in the hosp & couldn’t remember the name of this site so I sent you a FB pm. Isn’t it awful beyond belief? They thought it was a stroke too, or MS, but nothing conclusive. Everytime something weird happens, I blame lupus. I was dx’d with CNS lupus years ago but never did I have anything like this. Did you have horrible tremors too? I couldn’t even hold a spoon! I couldn’t sit up in my bed without assistance. I was so frightened! Ya know, my worst allergy is mold also, hmm. Oh, Meclizine is OTC, it’s the same compound (dimenhydrinate) as Dramamine & WalMart has a generic. That didn’t even work till they added Xanax, I’m being very careful with that, haven’t had any today cause I don’t feel I need it. Valerian is helping the tremors. I have a friend who went through horrible withdrawal from xanax. She said it was worse than opioid withdrawal, I beg to differ on that one. Been there. I’m so glad you’re feeling better, I love you!
The eye thru which I see God is the same eye thru which God sees me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Canid

Post by Canid »

kyan wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 03:50 ^^^^ wow you too?!? vertigo is the new UGH... i’m happy to report it was a one time deal with me — knock on wood. very interesting to hear about the correlation to allergies.

i remember having to cook while suffering from vertigo. i had to eat *something*. there i was, standing in the kitchen with my eyes closed, sneaking peeks with one eye just to make sure i wasn’t off target too much. talk about debilitating. in fact, my waking hours for about a week was spent with eyes closed.
It’s horrible beyond imagination. I’ve had bouts in the past that I thought were bad but I was SO wrong! I didn’t know about the possible allergy connection either. I’ve had the strangest, most perplexing things happen because of lupus. Almost got my foot amputated once...I pray it doesn’t recur for you...but I had my trusty Viceversa haHA! Some of the nurses wanted readings, when I could uncross my eyes. They were all so helpful. Well, most of them...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Grizabella

Post by Grizabella »

What I saw written in my neurologist's paperwork before moving here was ankolyzing spondilitis or something like that. My eye doctor in Oregon, who was one of the first doctors who treated me when I had this big health crash told me that I might as well call it lupus beause it's doing the same thing to my body, and I've got a whole lot of the same symptoms Candi mentions.

Benadryl and Claritin are over the counter, too, Candi. If meclizine doesn't work, (and with your doctors permission of course), I suggest you try one of them. Claritin doesn't make you feel sleepy but Benedryl does. There are generics of each of them, so compare the ingredients for the pricey ones and then look for the cheaper generics. I think diphenhydramine is the generic for Benedryl but the druggist would know for sure. Meclizine is the generic name of that one. I don't know what the actual brand name of that one is.

I don't have tremors so bad. I do have them, and also my toes and fingers doing their own twitchy thing. Without medication, my muscles writhe and twitch under the skin. It's called vessication.Venomous snake bites cause that, too. The muscles squirm around on their own beause of damage to the nerves. My grandkids used to get chuckles to watch my calves and feet before I got medication for that.

My neurologist in Oregon said that all the myriad disorders that the children of rheumatioid arthritic patients are kind of lumped all together because the same medications treat the symptoms and there's no cure for any of them.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Canid

Post by Canid »

I remember when you had an awful bout with PN, peripheral neuropathy. Been there too, 30 years ago, & thank God it was brief. But I still get those heebie jeebies, worms under the skin stuff, didn’t know it had a name. And lots of twitches & jerks. At least it doesn’t hurt any more, just keeps me awake at times. Amazing how much you can hurt while being numb, eh? And I learned you can’t walk if you can’t feel when your foot hits the floor. Do you have that still? So. Do you have the Ancient Egyptian? I still have that VR kit...hint hint.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Grizabella

Post by Grizabella »

Candi, tell me what kind of bling you want and I'll make you some. Kyan, too, if she's got a walker. We'll be stylin' some walkers, won't we?

How about you, Jo Ann?? I you have a walker, do you want a blinged out walker like us big girls? I've got beads aplenty to make us all sparkle.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

haahah! i’ve no walker yet, but my FIL owns two yet has no interest in customizing with bling. he also has an old wooden cane that’s been in the family for 3 generations (i was his grandfather’s originally) which he accidentally nearly cut in half when cutting firewood. :icon_rolleyes:

i still have a skateboard i’m not willing to give up, tho i rarely ride it anymore. it does get used as a dolly/moving cart from time to time, however :icon_lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Canid

Post by Canid »

kyan wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 02:49 haahah! i’ve no walker yet, but my FIL owns two yet has no interest in customizing with bling. he also has an old wooden cane that’s been in the family for 3 generations (i was his grandfather’s originally) which he accidentally nearly cut in half when cutting firewood. :icon_rolleyes:

i still have a skateboard i’m not willing to give up, tho i rarely ride it anymore. it does get used as a dolly/moving cart from time to time, however :icon_lol:
I’d like to bling it to be like the Walkers in Star Wars, but I think 8’ll keep it simple for now. Does he like Star Wars? There has to be a way to make the legs look like SW Walkers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

:icon_lol: my FIL doesn’t even know what star wars is all about. all he knows is that his son was into “some space movie” way back in the 70s.

there MUST be a way... maybe martha stewart can show us how.

walker mods. it’s a good thing. :icon_cool:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links