Deck Recommendations, please?

Discussions on Tarot, Oracle and Other Decks
Ivory.Inkwell17

Deck Recommendations, please?

Post by Ivory.Inkwell17 » 28 Mar 2018, 13:22

Hiya everyone!

I started doing tarot at my father's recommendation when I was in high school since he thought I would be good at it. Turns out, he was right. That, however, did not sit well with my highly religious relatives, and my father convinced me to stop. They said I could go to hell for dabbling in the occult and more specifically trying to divine the future. Honestly, I am not Christian, haven't been since seventh or eight grade, but I gave it up anyway to make them happy. I gave my Wizard Deck, by John J. Blumen, that my dad bought for me to a friend for safe keeping. They worked well for her for the years she had them. Once I was away at college she gave them back to me. It was like greeting an old friend. The deck and I worked well together for about a year, and then... After that year we slowly stopped meshing... They were there for me when I needed them, they bore no grudge for being sent away, but now... I think I just grew and changed. So, I am trying to find a new deck.

Whenever I think of what my new deck would be like soft, gentle colors come to mind. Not overly busy, but not minimalist. No harsh, defining lines, but not abstract either. Nothing too out there in design. More rectangular, more tall than wide. For some reason moonlight keeps ebbing into my thoughts. Sometimes flowers do as well. I do not know if this means a theme for the deck, or if I should pay particular attention to the Moon card's design when I chose a new deck. Nothing too religious in nature... I am agnostic. I want to avoid fairies because I have been told they can be very temperamental (please correct me if I have been misinformed).

Any ideas? I have been looking for a few days, and nothing really popped out at me too much. The closest I came to a deck feeling "right" were the Llewellyn Tarot deck, and the Shadowscapes deck... But they are not quite right either...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tarotbear

Re: Deck Recommendations, please?

Post by tarotbear » 28 Mar 2018, 13:35

I do wish you the best of luck~!

I am guessing that you are doing this online ... ? Have you checked offerings at Tarot Garden, or other large deck-selling sites such as Alida Store? Perhaps you should check out the Llewellyn and US Games catalogs as well. There are 1,000s of decks out there with new ones every day.

You might also ask gregory for suggestions - she has more decks than anyone I know of.

Be open-minded, however; that which we dream may only be a dream, and reality might be more concrete; no one has ever found a deck they are "100% in love with".
There are three ways of looking at things; theirs, yours, and my Tarot cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kyan

Post by kyan » 28 Mar 2018, 13:44

i can’t really think if a particular deck, but try checking out darkstar tarot on youtube.

she has tons of quick flip thrus (just 6-8 mins long) without any dialogue, and they may help you to find a deck that suits your requirements.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 29 Mar 2018, 14:13

Your description reminds me of the Mystic Dreamer tarot. It has all female figures and a gentle, misty feel to it. Nice Moon card, too. I'm not fond of the borders, though. The Wild Unknown might be another possibility.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sophia77

Post by Sophia77 » 02 Apr 2018, 16:14

What about the Aquarian Tarot?
Brightest Blessings
Sophia77

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Amou

Post by Amou » 19 Aug 2018, 08:12

Hello, I don't know if you are looking for an indie deck but can highly recommend the Luminous Spirit Tarot by Tina Gong from the Labrinthos Academy. The cards are illustrated by Tina in greyscale and follow in principle the RWS . The backs of the cards are holographic! A beautiful deck, but one that needs contemplation and study to read. There is also an accompanying App.The card stock is good but might be difficult to shuffle if you have smaller hands!
My very first deck was the Aquarian Tarot (don't ask how long ago!) and recently I bought a new edition... the card stock on the tinned version I find superior to the larger cards. A great deck with gentle depth of colour and easy to read.Think Art deco styling/1970s court cards!
If you were looking for a newer deck consider the Wild Unknown....it seems to have a cult following. The card stock is excellent and as the Court cards are not depicted in human form which I find refreshing .
Hope this helps, good luck in your search

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Amanda
Global Moderator

Post by Amanda » 19 Aug 2018, 09:49

If not the Shadowscapes, then perhaps something by Paulina Cassidy like the Joie de Vivre Tarot: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/joie-de-vivre/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

theFeeLion
Global Moderator

Post by theFeeLion » 20 Aug 2018, 01:40

I’m not sure if these will be your cup of tea but you could have a look at these...
Linestrider
Ostara Tarot
Ophidia Rosa
Lumina
Come faeries take me out of this dull world. For I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame. - W B Yeats

May you touch dragonflies and stars, dance with faeries and talk to the moon. - Unknown

Beginners Tarot Club

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 20 Aug 2018, 21:38

Maybe the Mystic Dreamer? I think most of the figures are female.

http://www.albideuter.de/html/mystic_dreamer.html

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Reine

Post by Reine » 03 Sep 2018, 22:53

You might take a look at the Steele Wizard Tarot. Very pretty with soft colors, and cards in the 2nd edition are taller and narrower than the 1st edition cards.

https://www.steelewizard.com/view_deck.html

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Decks”