Deck of the Week #16: April 16-22

Forum rules
There are some decks that we all know and love. And then there are the lesser known treasures. Deck of the Week is a really fantastic way to explore decks that are loved but under-used. Here you can see what decks other people are using and how they apply the cards to everyday situations.
kyan

Re: Deck of the Week #16: April 16-22

Post by kyan »

wow, that's a dramatic card! is that her tail?

this isn't the whimsical mermaid/unicorn/fairy type deck i thought it might be...

maybe it speaks of the vacation itself. check for bedbugs. :icon_eek: :icon_e_wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne »

Yes, that's her tail. She's apparently hiding something under it.

I just finished the book Into the Drowning Deep, by Mira Grant. It's a completely different take on the idea of "mermaids." I am never reading anything by that author after dark, ever again. :icon_eek:

There are cards in the deck that are quite friendly. However, it's not a "sweetness and light" kind of deck -- there's a balance of light and dark card meanings. It will be interesting to see what appears as the week progresses.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Belinda2

Post by Belinda2 »

Seldes Katne wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 22:51 I'm going to have to look for the Panda Tarot deck. Great illos. :icon_e_smile:

My first draw for the Oracle of the Mermaids is The Unseen:

(Note: The author and artist names aren't on the actual card -- this was taken from someone's website and they wanted to give credit. I'm fine with that.)

Disquieting, but helpful. It warns about things someone may not be telling you, or things that may not be obvious, or something that needs further investigation. My mother and I have recently had a lot of renovation and repair done on the house, and the people doing them mentioned we probably need to replace the roof. A friend of the family mentioned that we should get a second opinion, an idea with which I agree. We also think this project should be put off until next year so we can start putting money away for it.

Right now we're on vacation, and I'm hoping we can get a break from that whole thing for a while.
I forgot how Beautiful the oracle of the mermaid was, I own it and you reminded me that I should use it more often.😊

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Belinda2

Post by Belinda2 »

Draw that I did for that April 17th.

Two of wands
It is my day off, hum I will have to see how power, boldness, or originality will play out in my day. Good card.
Well unfortunately I have been ill all day something I ate. I got to sleep a lot kind of exhausted from last week. just got the book that I'm using for my astrology class tried to read it, only got so far, tomorrow will be a better day I am sure.
Last edited by Belinda2 on 17 Apr 2018, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

oh wow, the panda's shoes! enjoy your day off, belinda.

---

yes, i saw that entity thing under the mermaid's tail! lurking. hidden

i can't do scary stories but the mira grant story does sound interesting... mermaids hold such mystique. i love the old paintings of them, of sirens and whatnot.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Seldes Katne

Post by Seldes Katne »

Belinda2 wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 01:01 I forgot how Beautiful the oracle of the mermaid was, I own it and you reminded me that I should use it more often.😊
I bought it solely for the artwork, originally, and didn't think about using it. But I was doing a Harry Potter-style Divination class a couple of weeks ago, and the woman who borrowed this deck remarked on how beautiful it was. So I thought I'd give it a try.
kyan wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 01:49 i can't do scary stories but the mira grant story does sound interesting... mermaids hold such mystique. i love the old paintings of them, of sirens and whatnot.
I generally avoid scary stories myself. I'm going to have to find a way to properly "thank" the fellow staff member who recommended it.... :icon_twisted:

This card is about regaining one's own authenticity, of finding freedom, of reclaiming who you are in spite of what others think. The booklet that comes with the deck talks about the legend of the selkie and how it relates to women being claimed as property, and of having their bodies or freedom stolen because of a man's selfishness. I think we're seeing a lot of that reflected in the news these days, between the #MeToo movement and a continued push for women's right of self-determination.

On a more personal note, today I crossed the bay into the Outer Banks. I love the ocean. I enjoy being near it, if not on it, especially in nice weather like the kind we had today.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia »

Wow, again I didn't manage to write down my cards in time :-(

On Sunday night, on the watch of the Hierophant, the family of a good old friend of mine reached me to tell me that he took his own life - and he did so already two weeks ago.

I will look up now the card of the day he died.

I can't believe it. Okay, you can say that I'd connect any card with his death and that's possible - but Judgement is a very strong card for that kind of event. I hope that his choice war right for him. For his family, it's terrible.

I still didn't really absorb the fact we won't be mailing each other. I'll be in contact with his widow. If you can send a little ray of positive energy in her direction, I'd be grateful. She's heart broken.

That's my card for yesterday, Tuesday. I made a fool of myself with a silly mistake - but it was also funny so I don't really mind. Sometimes one justifies all the prejudices :icon_redface:

And for the day that's before me - the Tree of Pentacles. I guess this card is right for most of my days - let's see what's special today.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

Seldes Katne wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 20:43
I generally avoid scary stories myself. I'm going to have to find a way to properly "thank" the fellow staff member who recommended it.... :icon_twisted:
haha. recommend an even more terrifying book! :icon_twisted:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
kyan

Post by kyan »

nemia, so sorry to hear about your loss, and the card you pulled on that day is truly something! i hope everybody is able to heal from this sad event.

my friend’s dear friend lost her young son two weeks ago. he killed himself with that stupid “blue whale suicide” thing. apparently some UK based internet hackers had been extorting him for quite some time. the local police refuse to look into it. so sad.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Belinda2

Post by Belinda2 »

kyan wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 06:21 nemia, so sorry to hear about your loss, and the card you pulled on that day is truly something! i hope everybody is able to heal from this sad event.

my friend’s dear friend lost her young son two weeks ago. he killed himself with that stupid “blue whale suicide” thing. apparently some UK based internet hackers had been extorting him for quite some time. the local police refuse to look into it. so sad.
Sorry to hear about both of your losses.
Last edited by Belinda2 on 18 Apr 2018, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links