The chat center has been relocated. CLICK HERE or else follow the "Chat Center" link directly above this announcement.

An Introduction to Hellenistic Astrology

Moderator: Michael Sternbach

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

An Introduction to Hellenistic Astrology

Post by Charlie Brown » 02 Jun 2018, 20:54

I discovered a pretty nice series of introductory material on Traditional/Renaissance astrology. It's going to be 12 parts and, I believe, part 6 is the most current at the time of this writing.

Part 1 can be found here. There is also a Part 0 that talks a bit about the history of astrology.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Re: An Introduction to Hellenistic Astrology

Post by Michael Sternbach » 03 Jun 2018, 20:52

Thanks, Charlie. That course seems like an excellent introduction to the topic.

I started looking into traditional astrology back in the late 90's, when it first regained popularity, in particular due to the efforts of Robert Schmidt and his wife Ellen Black whom I had the pleasure of having some conversations with.

At the time, I was intrigued to find out more about what knowledge had been left behind when traditional Astrology was reformed around the early 20th century. Also, I appreciate the rigorous structure underlying the art in its original form, something that was lost with the introduction of new planets, asteroids, TNOs, aspects etc.

That's not to say that the latter would be bad in any manner... I personally apply a number of those more modern elements in my own practice of the art. However, I would recommend to any serious Astrologer to get to know the art's original foundations also (usually after having gained some insight into its modern form already).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 03 Jun 2018, 23:59

Also, it should be noted that traditional Astrology is essentially a completed system, whereas modern Astrology is a work still in progress. In particular, to regain the original symmetry of its rulership scheme, two additional trans-Neptunian planets need to be found. Now that's not so unlikely as it may seem at first. For those of you who are interested: I have written two articles on my blog on this.

https://michaelsternbach.wordpress.com/ ... predicted/

https://michaelsternbach.wordpress.com/ ... revisited/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 04 Jun 2018, 07:46

Thanks for the link. I'm also interested in this, but at $48 it's kind of pricey.

Hellenistic Astrology: The Study of Fate and Fortune by Chris Brennan

I "back-doored" my way into traditional astrology after 40 years as a psychological astrologer mainly practicing natal techniques. But I lost interest when things started getting overly complicated, with numerous asteroids entering the mix. (Back in the 80's, Rob Hand once dismissed them as "traveling gravel"). After many conversations with minderwiz, the Aeclectic Tarot astrology mod, I decided to pursue horary astrology using traditional methods, and never looked back. But I agree that a grounding in modern methods is essential to fully appreciate the value to be found in the foundations of the art.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 06 Jun 2018, 15:07

Michael Sternbach wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 20:52
However, I would recommend to any serious Astrologer to get to know the art's original foundations also (usually after having gained some insight into its modern form already).
Barleywine wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 07:46
But I agree that a grounding in modern methods is essential to fully appreciate the value to be found in the foundations of the art.
I'm glad to hear that you both feel this way. I'd like to learn more about astrology. I'm attracted to traditional because—due to the more limited resources—there seems to be much less fluff/garbage books. On the other hand, it seems far more alien and daunting.

If I'm going to start with modern, do you have opinions on the following course of action? I am very happy with Steven Forrest's The Inner Sky but he doesn't devote a whole lot of time to the symbolism of each of the signs. So, I thought I'd might get the following as my basic Astrology library (I can't really get too much more than this right now)

Steven Forrest Inner Sky
Steven Forrest Changing Sky (His intro to transits book)
Robert Hand Horoscope Symbols
And a book on houses, either The Twelve Houses by Howard Sasportas or Houses: Temples of the Sky by Deborah Holding.

If I then proceeded to get a book on traditional, I'm thinking I'd start with the B. Dykes.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Charlie Brown

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barleywine

Post by Barleywine » 06 Jun 2018, 15:24

Charlie Brown wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 15:07
Michael Sternbach wrote:
However, I would recommend to any serious Astrologer to get to know the art's original foundations also (usually after having gained some insight into its modern form already).
Barleywine wrote:
But I agree that a grounding in modern methods is essential to fully appreciate the value to be found in the foundations of the art.
I'm glad to hear that you both feel this way. I'd like to learn more about astrology. I'm attracted to traditional because—due to the more limited resources—there seems to be much less fluff/garbage books. On the other hand, it seems far more alien and daunting.

If I'm going to start with modern, do you have opinions on the following course of action? I am very happy with Steven Forrest's The Inner Sky but he doesn't devote a whole lot of time to the symbolism of each of the signs. So, I thought I'd might get the following as my basic Astrology library (I can't really get too much more than this right now)

Steven Forrest Inner Sky
And a book on houses, either The Twelve Houses by Howard Sasportas or Houses: Temples of the Sky by Deborah Holding.

If I then proceeded to get a book on traditional, I'm thinking I'd start with the B. Dykes.

I don't have anything by Forrest; he post-dates my psychological astrology book-buying days. But I have the other two and they're fine. Of Hand's other earlier books, Planets in Youth is excellent and, despite the title, it can be applied to adults just as well most of the time. Stephen Arroyo also has some good basic books. If you want an all-in-one "cook-book" for natal practice, The Astrologer's Handbook by Sakoian and Acker is still a worthwhile choice. Anything by Benjamin Dykes is worth the money (although his introductory book is kinda slim for the price).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 06 Jun 2018, 15:58

Thanks. I was actually able to borrow a copy of Planets in Youth for about a month and thought it was very good. That's why I was interested in horoscope symbols.
Charlie Brown

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Michael Sternbach
Site Admin

Post by Michael Sternbach » 06 Jun 2018, 16:59

Charlie Brown wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 15:07
Michael Sternbach wrote:
Barleywine wrote:

Steven Forrest Inner Sky

For basics, the book I recommend most is Keywords for Astrology by Hajo Banzhaf and Anna Haebler. Unlike Sakoian's book, it doesn't just give you a bunch of interpretations for this planet in that sign etc. but helps you understand how the interpretations were arrived and encourages you to make your own. That was the book that really opened up chart interpretation for me, after I had already bought a number of books on the topic.

Robert Hand's Horoscope Symbols is excellent for a deeper understanding of many astrological elements, although in this book, the author shows scant respect for many of Astrology's more traditional teachings. He wrote it before he got involved with Project Hindsight, which must have been quite a leap for him.

Hands also wrote a useful book on transits, BTW.

I agree with Barleywine on Arroyo's books. Some of them touch the spiritual dimensions of Astrology.

It really depends on what you want out of your Astrology. The astrology of the anciets was actually pretty fatalistic and had little of the psychological depth characteristic of the post-Jungian area. Something applauded by some, abhorred by others. My own position is a bit more differentiated; as mentioned, my astrological practice is nurtured by both modern and traditional views.

I am not familiar with Forrest's books.

Neither do I have Sasportas's book in my library, though I have another one by him and I think he knows his stuff. He's definitely a modern day astrologer.

With Deborah Houlding I am acquainted insofar I am a regular on her forum Skyscript. Deb's Houses: Temples of the Sky, despite showing a mistake in one of its diagrams, is a good summary of the houses in classical understanding. Unlike Sasportas, this is pure trad stuff. So perhaps get both books and draw your own conclusions.

Ben Dykes is a rock solid traditional astrologer who has translated a bunch of classical works and authored some of his own. So with Dykes' books, you are really diving into the deep end.

My favourite astrology author overall is Dane Rudhyar. I don't think anybody else has done a better job explaining the astrological Universe so far.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 06 Jun 2018, 19:31

I found a cheap copy of Horoscope Symbols on AbeBooks, so we'll see how I like it.
Charlie Brown

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Astrology”