Help

Discussions on Tarot, Oracle and Other Decks
alexandrix

Help

Post by alexandrix » 26 Aug 2018, 07:53

Hello everyone. I don’t know how but couple days ago I’ve bumped into this YouTube tarot reading video and I was instantly drowned into it. I’ve spend days watching this stuffs and I found it extremely interesting. (Truth to be told, I’ve knew a bit about tarot before).

Right now, I want to start my path but I am not sure what deck should I buy between the Rider tarot Deck and Shadowscapes. Honestly, when I saw the “shadowscapes deck”, I was instantly attracted to it...but I winder, for someone like me a total beginner is it okay to start with such “difficult” cards (I mean the rider one seems pretty simple comparing to this one who is absolutely gorgeous).

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Re: Help

Post by Charlie Brown » 26 Aug 2018, 10:23

I'm a big fan of the Shadowscapes deck, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first deck unless it's absolutely the only deck that's calling to you. If you like the Rider, it IS the absolute standard deck and is great to learn from. It's good to start out with a deck that is at least similar in idea to the Rider-Waite-Smith, because that's what most of the basic learning materials will be referencing. The Shadowscapes has it's own energy to it. If you understand the RWS, even with only a few months worth of study, you will be able to transfer all of that to Shadowscapes, but without a base of general tarot knowledge it can be hard to just start learning with it.

If you don't want an authentic RWS, there are a lot of similar decks that each have their own, slightly different, artistic take. There's The Sharman-Caselli deck, the llewllyn classic tarot, the Morgan Greer tarot, or even one done up with cats. Each of these follows the basic RWS template, which is the best way to start, in my opinion.

And I do think getting a good, old-fashioned Rider deckis the best way to go.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alexandrix

Post by alexandrix » 26 Aug 2018, 10:35

It’s extremely weird...but I feel like this deck is absolutely calling for me. I don’t know if it’s the energy or something...but I just want them. I guess I’d get both and see what’s working better for me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alexandrix

Post by alexandrix » 26 Aug 2018, 10:41

Also thank you very much from taking from your time to reply. I highly appreciate.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Amanda
Global Moderator

Post by Amanda » 26 Aug 2018, 11:46

Get them both, why not? Keep the Rider-Waite as your "standard" learning deck and pull out the Shadowscapes when you're in the mood for something a little more creative with the visuals. I had some great readings just from the pictures in the Shadowscapes deck when I had it, however, I did already have a solid knowledge-base going with the standard Rider-Waite.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown » 26 Aug 2018, 20:49

alexandrix wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 10:41
Also thank you very much from taking from your time to reply. I highly appreciate.

You're very welcome. Getting both is certainly a possibility. What I like best about the Shadowscapes is that there is so much kinetic energy within the cards. When I'm doing a reading with it, especially once we get up to five or six or more cards, the lines of motion have interesting intersections that can be very provocative, often emphasizing a particular card or else verring off to a particular point in space. You can really do a lot with it once you have a little bit of a base.
Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alexandrix

Post by alexandrix » 26 Aug 2018, 20:52

I still have no idea about them...like I don’t understand how I should spread those cards and just follow the rules (are there any certain rules besides the meaning of it’s own card?) or just... say the first rubbish comes out of my mouth.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Amanda
Global Moderator

Post by Amanda » 27 Aug 2018, 07:51

alexandrix wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 20:52
I still have no idea about them...like I don’t understand how I should spread those cards and just follow the rules (are there any certain rules besides the meaning of it’s own card?) or just... say the first rubbish comes out of my mouth.

There are lots of "rules" people have for reading the cards; each person is unique. You will continue to learn new things years down the road. I'd recommend you focus on a simple meaning of each card for now and practice reading small spreads. Or, you can practice reading on simple questions with no more than 3 cards to answer it. Looking at body language in the cards tends to help figure out how to apply the meanings.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Decks”