Epic Tarot

Moderator: theFeeLion

Jo Ann
Founder

Re: Epic Tarot

Post by Jo Ann » 26 Jul 2017, 19:50

in the four of cups, i only see one cup.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2dogs
Global Moderator

Post by 2dogs » 27 Jul 2017, 08:04

0fool wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 19:50
in the four of cups, i only see one cup.
True, maybe he's emptied three and let them fall into the water, leaving that squirrel thing to drink the last one. After which it will probably get dropped on his head.
If the Lord Almighty had consulted me before embarking on creation thus, I should have recommended something simpler. Alfonso X (the Wise)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LittleNell

Post by LittleNell » 27 Jul 2017, 13:00

I just have to say, this deck is gorgeous.
@0fool, the minors do lack the correct number of element symbols (if I think back, The Fey Tarot is the same) so the art hast to do all the work.
I really like that each minor is the blend of suit, number and aspect of its associated court (all explained in the LWB and it is little). That's going to give me something to study and play with. Now time for a cup of tea and a 'getting to know you' session with these little beauties.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Post by Nemia » 15 Aug 2017, 11:31

The Epic is my Deck of the Week, and I'm re-reading the lwb. It's written by Barbara Moore. I find there is a big difference between the introduction to this deck, outlining the idea behind it - and the card meanings which are very generic and bland.

Nearly all the card meanings display the rhetorical trick of "festina lente", "hurry slowly". Your project is developing quickly - so step back and take it slowly. There are tensions in a relationship - they will in time give way to equilibrium. Nearly every card meaning contains opposites. That's what makes them so bland. They neutralize each other. So I'm really disappointed with that part of the lwb. (I will continue to read this deck as I read most decks - combining the visual message of the card before my eyes with the core meanings based on esoteric teachings that I carry in my head).

However, the first part of the lwb is much more interesting. Moore outlines a fantasy world with three gods (Knowledge, Creativity, War) and three goddesses (Magic, Receptivity, Love). There is an additional deity, the Seeker, who cannot be nailed down in the confines of these definitions and always breaks them in order to Seek.

Each of these deities is related to three major arcana.

Now you may call me crazy, go ahead!, but these seven deities obviously remind me of the Seven Gods in the Game of Thrones mythological system (which fascinates me, like mythologies of all kinds tend to do).

A nice and neat overview over the gods and goddesses in GoT is given here:

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Faith_of_the_Seven
The Faith holds that there is one god who has seven faces or aspects: the Father, the Mother, the Maiden, the Crone, the Warrior, the Smith, and the Stranger. Each aspect represents one part of life or existence.

The Father: represents divine justice, and judges the souls of the dead.
The Mother: represents mercy, peace, fertility, and childbirth. She is sometimes referred to as "the strength of women".
The Maiden: represents purity, innocence, love, and beauty.
The Crone: represents wisdom and foresight. She is represented carrying a lantern.
The Warrior: represents strength and courage in battle.
The Smith: represents creation and craftsmanship.
The Stranger: The Stranger represents death and the unknown. It is rarely prayed to.

The Stranger is depicted as neither male nor female, thus the number of male and female aspects within the godhead is equal: three males (Father, Warrior, Smith), three females (Maiden, Mother, Crone), and one who is neither. Unlike the other aspects which are represented as human figures in artwork, because the Stranger represents the unknown it is often portrayed in a wide variety of forms, often frightening. Sometimes it is represented as a skeletal figure, or a non-human creature possessing various animalistic features.
Don't you think the two systems fit nicely together?

The Father: Knowledge (Hierophant, Hermit, Judgement)
The Mother: Receptivity (Empress, Strength, Moon)
The Maiden: Love (Lovers, Temperance, World)
The Crone: Magic (High Priestess, Hanged Man, Star)
The Warrior: War (Chariot, Death, Tower)
The Smith: Creativity (Emperor, Justice, Sun)
The Stranger: Seeker (Magician, Wheel, Devil)

I wanted to share this little bridge my brain made between two fantasy mythologies. The GoT mythological world is much more artifical and "modern" (it's a new-fangled faith compared to the ancient faith of the North) and not as powerful as the LotR mythology with its Nordic and Greek associations. But it's interesting nevertheless. I also really like the pun with septons (like sextons in some churches, based on the number seven, septum).

And it's another reason why I like the Epic. There's more to it than meets the eye.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nemia
Global Moderator

Epic Tarot and the Faith of the Seven

Post by Nemia » 25 Sep 2017, 05:20

I took the time to scan the cards for each god and goddess. It makes it easier to imagine how the Epic Tarot and the world of Games of Thrones go together. Just for my own private fun.

I didn't scan all the cards in the proper order - noticed it too late but I don't want to start again... you can recognize the majors yourself, I think. Isn't that interesting?

The Father: Knowledge (Hierophant, Hermit, Judgement)

The Mother: Receptivity (Empress, Strength, Moon)

The Maiden: Love (Lovers, Temperance, World)

The Crone: Magic (High Priestess, Hanged Man, Star)

The Warrior: War (Chariot, Death, Tower)

The Smith: Creativity (Emperor, Justice, Sun)

The Stranger: Seeker (Magician, Wheel, Devil)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Falkor

Post by Falkor » 25 Sep 2017, 13:35

Nemia this is fascinating!

I am not watching Game of Thrones but your project gives this beautiful deck a totally new meaning.

<3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HeKatesXing

Post by HeKatesXing » 10 Nov 2018, 00:37

I have been working with this deck for awhile now ,
when I first picked up this deck, loved the feel, loved the imagery .. but struggled a little with recognizing the court cards especially The Dragons and The Griffins .... but also struggled a little with Suits of the Books ... took me a while to get a grasp on the authors thoughts re each card also and their definitions...

for example

6 of Books The Book Connects
Messages are a bridge between our world and the World beyond. Listen with different ears and speak with a different voice. There are wonders beyond imagination ....

This is absolutely nothing like the Rider Waite or even The Golden Dawn which speaks of victory after strife ....
So it has taken awhile to learn where the author's perspective was placed ...

Anyway I think this will continue to be a long journey as I discover more about the imagery and the LWB ...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “Various Tarot Decks”