What are you listening to?

But not politics

Moderator: Moonlight

Forum rules
Post here for your everyday chat and anything non esoteric, No politics or religion talk.
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Serpentwand »

Barleywine wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 06:53 Right now I'm listening to Steely Dan's 2002 come-back album, Two Against Nature, jazzy pop-rock with a little more edge than they used to have.
I could hear a bit of jazz there and they'd put some thought into it. Was it a successful come-back?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Charlie Brown wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 15:41 I've been putting the finishing touches on my annual Xmas playlist. This year is heavy on non-standard songs.
How about No More Christmas Blues by Alan Vega?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

At the moment, the slow, atmospheric orchestral Lontano by György Ligeti.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Charlie Brown
Global Moderator

Post by Charlie Brown »

2dogs wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 09:50 At the moment, the slow, atmospheric orchestral Lontano by György Ligeti.
Nice. Are you familiar with the Piano Etudes? This one's particularly nice:

Charlie Brown
—“I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Charlie Brown wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 12:29 Nice. Are you familiar with the Piano Etudes?
I've only got two CDs of the pieces that sound like ambient music made with orchestral instruments, organs and choirs and hadn't heard any of his piano compositions. The well known classical piano music in general hasn't appealed to me, it sounds rather plain, but I like this one, it's got more interesting notes and rhythms, less of an obvious tune :icon_cool: . I also enjoy the use of piano in some rock music nowadays and some rock artists have produced classical sounding pieces which add a nice contrast to their albums, such as Faust:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Barleywine

Post by Barleywine »

2dogs wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 01:25
Barleywine wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 06:53 Right now I'm listening to Steely Dan's 2002 come-back album, Two Against Nature, jazzy pop-rock with a little more edge than they used to have.
I could hear a bit of jazz there and they'd put some thought into it. Was it a successful come-back?
Yes, it won a handful of Grammy awards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Charlie Brown wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 12:29 Are you familiar with the Piano Etudes?
I've listened to all six of those on YouTube now and quite enjoyed them, also the comments by people about how well they were being played :icon_e_surprised: . I've got more into rock music where you have to listen to several different things going on at the same time :thumbup: .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

At the moment I’m listening to avant garde classical and musique concrete from 1961 when I was just an embryo, alive but aged less than zero. It’s a strange and unexpectedly appropriate experience, no tunes as such but rather a lot of puzzling disconnected sounds, clicks, buzzes, echoes or formless drifting drones, generally mysterious or absorbing with only the occasional shock. I can imagine the first flashes of awareness to be something like this as random brain cells develop and start to fire with no connection, meaning or reference to the outside world.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

Currently a piece from 1964 for live violin mixed with chopped up and processed taped violin sounds. It’s taking some time to sort out my music collection so I can play it by year on my particular player but 1961-64 are reasonably organised and I’m finding them very absorbing. The compositions make much more sense in chronological order rather than the random arrangements on classical CDs where for example someone with a double bass will release a CD of all the double bass works by a particular composer, or indeed several composers, which could span several decades with changes of style.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Serpentwand
Global Moderator

Post by Serpentwand »

The last couple of months I’ve found ambient music very soothing. At the moment I’m listening to the Cryosleep stream from Echoes Of Bluemars on our Internet radio while lounging on the sofa with the lights down low. It’s been dark outside for the last hour and I’m chilling out.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links