outline to make a deck

For general questions and comments regarding the production and distribution of Indy decks.
BlueToy

Re: outline to make a deck

Post by BlueToy »

Joan Marie wrote: 01 Aug 2017, 02:09 When I started my deck, I made a plan in an excel spreadsheet. I decided the order I would create the cards, how many I would complete each week in order to meet the deadline I set myself. It was all very orderly.

That plan lasted about a day.
Haha so true. But being Virgo, I still try to force myself to do it :D

Another thing I'm experimenting with is using a blank notebook and designating a page or two for each card. And then just draw, sketch or even just doodle on the pages for the cards I currently have inspiration for.

-Ly

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
tarotbear

Post by tarotbear »

Just skimming this thread. On the old AT I had a thread called 'If I Only Knew When I started this Deck...'. Unfortunately, I thought I had a copy of the thread before AT closed, but - alas!- I do not.

My first word of advice to anyone who wants to design a Tarot deck is - FIND A PUBLISHER/PRINTER FIRST. Every card printer has different sized card blanks, so you should be creating artwork that fits those blanks. Don't wait until you have finished your 76th card to find your completed designs are too short and too wide. An acquaintance once designed his entire deck based off the finished size of a deck he has - found out he had to add borders and compress the designs in a different direction. Nothing will discourage you faster than having sunk so much time into card creation, only to find you have to rework you images all over again. Contact several different printers/publishers and find out what size 'Tarot size' means to them, and design you images once!

In general terms - a Tarot card image is sized 900 x 1500 pixels. If you don't work in pixels, you may have to convert your artwork.
There are three ways of looking at things; theirs, yours, and my Tarot cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
dumpling

Post by dumpling »

tarotbear wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 15:35 Just skimming this thread. On the old AT I had a thread called 'If I Only Knew When I started this Deck...'. Unfortunately, I thought I had a copy of the thread before AT closed, but - alas!- I do not.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=220990

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
tarotbear

Post by tarotbear »

YES! That is it! Thank you for posting the link! I will try to copy it into Office so I have a copy in my PC. :icon_mrgreen:
There are three ways of looking at things; theirs, yours, and my Tarot cards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links